xxxiv. foolish one

chapter thirty-four
FOOLISH ONE

tw: heartbreak & clara being badass

2014 , WASHINGTON D.C.

Clara hugged herself as she climbed out last from the van, her neck starting to bruise even more; a new thick strap of purple around her skin, taking over Rumlow's handprint. Steve and Sam helped a bleeding and exhausted Natasha out of the truck and to safety, they seemed to be hiding in an hydroelectric damn of some kind. Clara had no idea what the building was, but she thankful it was safe and it would avoid her having to go back to that place. 

Maria walked ahead and pulled open the barred gate, Clara's throat dried out in fear, chest squeezing tightly. The others passed threw as if it was nothing but Sam stopped, looking back at the brunette as she stood there, staring at the entrance. "You coming?" He asked, raising a brow. 

"Yeah." She whispered, just constantly reminding herself she wasn't getting shut in anywhere and she could happily leave if she wanted. Clara flinched, involuntarily, she the barred gate slammed shut behind her and her eyes had to adjust to the grim yellow lighting of the hallway as an unfamiliar doctor rushed up to Natasha's aid. Is this what S.H.I.E.L.D. has become now, a couple people in an abandoned building off the grid? Or was S.H.I.E.L.D. never a thing? 

"GSW!" Maria hollered to the doctor, "She's lost at least a pint."

"Maybe two." Sam added on as they walked own the hall, Natasha holding herself up against the Captain who was still trying to process everything. 

"Let me take her." The doctor ordered. 

But Maria shook her head, "She'll want to see him first." Clara's brows dipped in confusion, Nat wore the same confused and concerned expression. Who was it? But whoever it was, was revealed not much longer when they reached the end of the long hallway and Maria pulled aside an opaque curtain, revealing none other then Nick Fury himself. Clara's heart skipped multiple beats, she couldn't actually believe he was alive... laid there, alive. She had to blink multiple times, vision obstructed by tears that formed. The guilt that racked up in her chest was unexplainable, it was more overwhelming then the guilt and pain she felt for lying to Steve for long. Clara hated all these feelings she had, she wished she had the power to turn them off like vampires did.