liv. right where you left me

chapter fifty - four
RIGHT WHERE YOU LEFT ME

tw: none really. 

2018 , MANHATTAN  

"Still no word from Vision." Secretary Thaddeus Ross interrogates, his voice firm and unwavering, he's irritated about the lack of knowledge he has but he doesn't seem it from the audio of the hologram. 

Colonel James Rhodes stares off at the floor, leant against a table in the room he's having the meeting in, "Satellites lost him somewhere over Edinburgh." He weakly glances at the table of old men writing down on pieces of paper, conversing quiet enough for the microphone not to pick up on their side. 

"On a stolen quinjet with five of the world's most wanted criminals." Ross states, almost as if he was reading from a piece of paper on his desk. 

Rhodey can't even feel empathy for him, for the amount he's done to tear apart the Avengers, even with the world in shambles from the recent attack on New York and the other government officials moving around Secretary Ross, nervous and worried -- he still can't give him an ounce of sympathy, "You know they're only criminals because you've chose to call them that, right, sir?" He can't help the harshness in his tone, jabbing a remote towards the government officials. 

"My God, Rhodes." Ross rolls his eyes, "Your talent for horseshit rivals my own."

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would've been right here." The Colonel argues back, hands dangling at his sides as he takes a small step forward. 

The Secretary rises to his feet, rounding the table to come face to face with Rhodey, "I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel." Ross reminds him, mockingly raising a brow. Rhodes drops his gaze, almost shamefully, tongue running along the back of his teeth in rage. 

"That's right." But he owns it, "And I'm pretty sure I paid for that."

"You have second thoughts?"

"Not anymore." Rhodes stares directly at the hologram of Secretary Ross, the man very displeased, when the sound of thick and strong strides echoes; catching their attention. Rhodey has never wanted to smile more then right now, watching as Clara and Steve walk down the hallway, Natasha, Sam, Vision and Wanda behind them. Jamie is on Clara's hip, the young girl with her head rested on her mama's shoulder and her dark eyes staring directly at Ross with almost anger to it. She's reading the room, feeling the rage and the darkness and she's mirroring it. Clara knew that her little girl was clever, but this is insanely clever.