xxviii. sweet nothing

chapter twenty-eight
SWEET NOTHING

tw: sexual assault references & pain

2014 , WASHINGTON D.C.

"Do you hate me?" Clara spoke as she walked up beside Natasha on her way out of the office, the red head looked shocked at the question, "I'm blaming Steve for the grenade, but seriously, Talia, it was you for not being quicker and flirting with him basically. He's my boyfriend and well we were clearly going to have sex tonight and you just went and blew that plan out the window."

Natasha went to argue back, when the cutting voice of Alexander Pierce shot threw the air, "Parker!" He called, his expensive shoes clicking against the tiled floor as they headed towards the elevator to take them to the garage for their cars, "I want a chat."

"I'm just on my way out, Pierce." She winced, turning around to stare into his ice blue eyes. Clara knows that he'll never forget his greatest weapon, but the man would be stupid to try and take her back from his enemy. Pierce is a man of great work and he would not make a rookie mistake for her, although it's a tempting thought every time he catches her on her own, he still will not make the stupid mistake of it and Clara would take a long time to break again, she's got nearly thirty years on her side that had undone all their work, "Can it not wait 'till tomorrow, I have dinner plans... I need to change because I can't go to dinner looking like a corpse."

Pierce made a 'tsk' sound, tilting his head to the side, "Just briefly, won't take a long time." Clara let out a whine like a child, dragging her feet along the floor in annoyance. He was clearly doing it out of spite, he always did this and no one ever caught on.

She reluctantly followed him into his office, Pierce shut the door behind her as she walked in and bit on her bottom lip, gripping tighter on her motorcycle helmet. Clara knew Steve was just downstairs waiting to take her to the museum, they loved going there together, it was a reminder of their past. Steve liked it more, but doing it together was something familiar and sweet.

"I want you on training for the rest of the week, teaching the newbies." Alexander cleared his throat, walking into the office.

"No." She said firmly, shaking her head, "I am not doing Rumlow's dirty work, it's his job. He always does it." Clara followed him closely as he flipped open a file on her desk, saying not to the Superior felt empowering but it was very nerve racking and she always felt terrified to say no, "I hate teaching the newbies, they're the worst, such snobs."

"You never said that in the Academy." His voice darkened, glancing up at her above the top of his glasses. Clara's face paled out in fear and her grip tightened even more on the helmet, "You'll do the class, Weapon, wether you like it or not. You don't have a choice."