xxix. all too well

chapter twenty-nine
ALL TOO WELL

tw: lots of pain, death & sadness ( be warned )

2014 , WASHINGTON D.C.

Clara sighed out as she slipped the leaflet from Sam into her pocket, glancing back at Steve as he carried the bags from their shopping trip. There's a scared feeling in her chest, the same worried feeling she gets when something bad is about to happen and it's panicking but Clara just thinks that perhaps she'll fall down the stairs; it's not the biggest feeling. "I don't mind carrying the bags, but could you at least, like, not be so slow?" Steve spoke, wincing as they finished the steps. 

"I'm just tired. Will you carry me?" She turned around to grin at him, "It's been a long day."

Steve raised a brow, "I'm not going to carry you, Clara." She huffed in annoyance, hairs standing up on the back of her neck when she heard music coming from inside their apartment at the end of the hall. Stopping suddenly, she reached behind her and tugged out her gun from her waistband, cocking it to put a bullet in the chamber, "There's someone in there."

The Captain set the bags of food onto the ground outside their apartment as she crouched beside the door, straining her ears. There was a faint heartbeat, she wondered where they were. 

Clara slowly opened the door, as quietly as she could so whoever was in their didn't hear them. She didn't know was stupid enough to break into two Avenger's apartment, but they were about to get a bullet between the eyebrows if they leaped out with some weapon. "Stay here." She whispered to Steve, knowing he was unarmed. The man just rolled his eyes and followed her in, Clara pressed her back to the small wall that divided the entrance to the main living room. Biting on her bottom lip, she nodded firmly to Steve and shot round the corner, gun raised high at Nick Fury lounging in an arm chair in the corner. 

He was hidden in the shadows of the apartment, out the way of any windows, "I don't remember giving you a key." Clara sighed, putting her gun back into the waistband of her trousers. Steve just went back outside to collect their groceries, annoyed that Fury was here. 

"You think I'd need one?" He slowly sat up with a deep grunt, Clara's eyes flashed over his body but she couldn't tell anything from the dark corner he was sat in. "My wife kicked me out." The way his brow twitched, she knew he was lying. There was something up with Fury, he had a high heartbeat and he looked slightly nervous. Steve appears again, saying he didn't know that he was married, "A lot of things you don't know about me."