xii. dance with me

chapter thirteen
DANCE WITH ME

tw: mentions of sexual assault

1942 , NEW YORK CITY

Clara smiled when she saw the boys playing in the road, throwing the familiar oddly shaped ball back between each other. The game was now called football, or American Football, because the Brits have claimed the name for soccer. She missed her brothers dearly, but they were busy with their own lives; she only hoped they could meat up again at some point and talk over their long, long lives. 

"Wait, I know this neighbourhood." Steve realised as they passed threw Brooklyn, "I got beat up in that alley. And that parking lot. And behind that diner." Clara just shook her head with a deep sigh, Peggy also shook her head in disbelief. 

"Did you have something against running away?" The taller British woman asked in the back, beside Steve. 

The small man looked at his fingers, "No. You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, you push back. They can't say no forever, right?" Clara's eyes cast downwards, she said no for what felt like forever but they didn't listen. She swallowed the lump in her throat, not letting her trauma put her down on Steve's big day. The Parker woman had no idea what to expect from this, he's going to become a super solider and she wasn't sure how much this would change him. She didn't want the Steve she loved so much to go away, he was everything to her and he might just disappear if he becomes big and strong like the other men. 

"I know a little of what that's like, to have every door shut in your face." Peggy stated, making eye contact with Clara, "I bet you do to."

"In many different ways." She nodded, glancing at Steve, "You can say no for what feels like forever, and no one ever listens." He frowned in confusion, whereas Peggy just leant forward and comfortingly rubbed her shoulder. 

"Who was it?" She asked, knowing exactly what the twenty-three year old meant as she spoke. 

Clara just shook her head, "It doesn't matter, Peggy, it was a very long time ago." Her brows raised and the British woman just nodded. Steve was still confused, he looked down at his hands with a deep sigh.