xxxi. beautiful ghosts

chapter thirty-one
BEAUTIFUL GHOSTS

tw: lots of pain, betrayal, sexual talk, yeah. 

2014 , WASHINGTON D.C.

Normally, Clara would've taken in the gorgeous sights of the shopping mall. She's always in such bewilderment as they walk threw all the expensive and super cool shops, but today she can't do that and that's alright. Her mind is completely somewhere else as the trio make their way threw the busy mall, voices buzz around them as groups of people have conversations and teenagers meet up for a day out of shopping. Clara looks over her shoulder, wondering if anyone is following them; there isn't. Steve is sort of run walking beside the two woman who just have long and fast strides for their height -- he doesn't understand how they're so calm. 

"First rule of going on the run is don't run, walk." Natasha explained firmly, all three now in different clothing as to not attract attention to themselves. 

Steve's pace slowed ever so slightly, his shoulders dropping, "If I run in these shoes, they're gonna fall off." Clara assumed that would end up being karma later as they'd end up running from something or another. 

They walked towards the apple store, a store that both of the fossils hated with a passion. Clara could never understand how to work any of the things and neither could Steve, they preferred not having a phone but they were forced to anyway. Natasha pulled them over to the expensive looking computers that are almost flat pieces of paper but Clara couldn't stare at in shock as they had a mission. 

"The drive has a Level Six homing program, so as soon as we boot up S.H.I.E.L.D. will know exactly where we are." Natasha explains, fingers dancing over the keyboard as the couple stood beside her. Clara was squashed between the two, Steve's hand rested gently on her hip; nothing out of the ordinary, just another sense of protection and comfort for both of them. His gaze lifted out and over the shop, searching for threats. 

"How much time will we have?" The Captain asks, his voice raspy in Clara's ear. 

Natasha's brows dipped in thought, "Um, about nine minutes from," She slipped the drive in, "Now." It glows a soft blue colour, basically white, "Fury was right about that ship. Somebody's trying to hide something. This drive is protected by some sort of AI. It keeps rewriting itself to counter my commands."