xlv. dancing with our hands tied

chapter forty - five
DANCING WITH OUR HANDS TIES

tw: fear, death, anxiety, 
depression & mentions of sexual assault

2016 , MANHATTAN 

"Stop watching that." Clara spoke as she walked into Steve's office, folding her arms over her chest. He looked over his shoulder, pausing the live feed of the feedback from Lagos, Nigeria and what King T'Chaka of Wakanda has to say about the loss of innocent, "She made a mistake, we all make mistakes, and she'll make up for it for the rest of her life." 

The Captain sighed, turning his chair towards Clara, "It was a costly mistake, love, it'll set the Avengers back in the medias eyes." The brunette sat gently on his knee, brushing her fingers threw the back of his hair. "But I understand what you mean."

"I just mean, I've killed hundreds, if not thousands, by my own hand --"

"No." Steve cut her off, "It's not the same thing, Lars." Parker bit her bottom lip, she felt like it sort of was the same thing. Wanda lost control, she didn't really have a choice; but it wasn't exactly the same thing. Cap gently brushed his hand over her jaw, "Times are changing, we can't do anything without it backfiring. I'm sure that the government is going to speak up at some point." Clara nodded, sighing as she stared at the light stubble on his cheek, "Are you alright? You seem a bit out of it."

Her dark eyes flicked to his, but she didn't get a chance to answer -- or maybe she just found a way out of answering, when the twenty-three year old heard a television playing the live feed down the hall. Steve sighed as she got up and followed the noise, he really needed to make sure she was alright. She might end up having to back onto the anti-depressants again. 

"What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri--" Clara flicked the television off, knowing it was doing no good for her whatsoever. The young woman sat on the edge of her bed, staring solemnly at the flat screen. Lily was curled up beside her, the blonde dog with her nose rested on Wanda's leg. Clara folded her arms over her chest as her and Steve walked into the bedroom, over the year, they've become like mentors to Wanda. Clara more so then Steve, even though Wanda caused her a lot of harm, she still felt like she needed to make up for something and she was never quite sure what.