xlvi. don't blame me

chapter forty - six
DON'T BLAME ME

tw: fear, anxiety, depression
& emetophobia warning

2016 , LONDON 

A dark figure made her way up the red carpet, down the centre of the pews as two other darkly dressed figures stood side by side, staring in thought at the picture of Peggy Carter. The sunlight shafted threw the gorgeous stain-glass windows with a story painted onto them. 

Clara heard Natasha's footsteps behind them and turned, Steve's hand being pulled alerting him of another presence in the room. They both turned as Natasha joined them. She hadn't been there for the ceremony, it was quite an open ceremony because of Peggy's place in the world but there was no cameras or anything; Steve and Clara requested none, they didn't want the world to know how weak they were at that moment in time. Grief was in the air, tossed between the couple as they mourned the loss of their loved one. 

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone." Cap sighed, looking at the young Peggy Carer. Even though Clara was there, she wasn't quite the same as he once knew her; dealign with all the trauma she was keeping inside, "Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her. And you." He quickly saved himself, squeezing Clara's hand gently. 

"She had you back, too." Nat smiles gently, paying her own respects to one of the founders of S.H.I.E.L.D.. 

Steve faintly nodded, Clara let out a small and tired sigh, leaning her head against his shoulder, "Who else signed?" She had an idea of who might've signed the Sokovia Accords, but she just wanted to know upfront. 

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision."

"Clint?"

"Says he's retired."

"Wanda?"

"TBD." There was a solemn pause between them, Clint probably had the right idea; but he had his family in his court so it made more sense. Tony was obvious, and so was Rhodey, they're both total dicks right now. Wanda, it's pretty clear why, but Clara doesn't understand why Vision signed. "I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet." Parker and Rogers shared a look, they knew their decision, "Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together if more important than how we stay together."