xxiv. karma

chapter twenty-four
KARMA

tw: trauma, panic attacks & blood

2001 , MANHATTAN

The sound of singing came from the bar, joy echoed in Clara's ears as she followed Peggy into the crowd of Army men. The singing fell quiet as the two ladies walked in, there was chatter among some men who fell silent when Peggy and Clara walked past them. The Parker woman folded her arms around her middle, hating everyone staring at her but they continued to talk when they turned into the back. Clara cleared her throat, looking behind her as she followed Peggy who was way to confident for this time an age. Even though Clara was confident, in uncharted territory, she didn't feel confident.

Bucky whistled when Clara walked towards him and Steve, she instantly felt more comfortable, "Oh, wow." He shook his head, extending a hand for her to take. She giggled as he twirled her into him, placing one harm on her lower back and the other in her other hand, rocking them back and forth. Clara burst into laughter, "I think you owe me a dance, doll."

"I promised someone else a dance, hun." She told him, tilting her head to the side with a frown. It took a second for Bucky to catch on, glancing at Steve who was mesmerised by Agent Carter. Clara felt her heart sink, of course he was mesmerised by Peggy. The twenty-three year old cursed herself for actually thinking Steve liked her, "On second thought, let's go." She nodded firmly, taking Bucky's hand and pulling him out onto the dance floor where other couples were dancing, happy to be back together. Steve turned his gaze towards Clara as she danced with Bucky, they danced back and forth, side to side and Clara didn't pay attention to him once, not the entire night.

Her and Bucky danced until it felt like their feet would fall off, she was just happy to have him back. The music got a little more upbeat and they were just jumping about like idiots, laughing and having the time of their lives. 

Soldier. 

Sweat trickled down the edge of her hairline and her back, soaking her pillow beneath her. Clara sat up in her bed, chest rising up and down rapidly from fear and panic. She felt the strong kick of a leg inside of her, and it seemed to ground her. The little devil was like a soccer player, it was stupid on how strong he is inside of her stomach. Clara hated the feeling of being pregnant, but the hormones and exhaustion was bringing up a lot of memories which was helping her road to recovery.