lii. the very first night

chapter fifty - two
THE VERY FIRST NIGHT

tw: worry & fear, death, 
depression & adorable stara scenes

2018 , CORNWALL 

Start simple.

Start with what you know.

"I am Clara Josephine Parker, mother of two. I'm living in Cornwall, England. America isn't an option anymore, home is gone. My daughter, Jamie, and my son, Peter, are one and sixteen. You spent fifty-five years and eleven months in Russia, forty five years in HYDRA and ten years in the Red Room. You are alive. You are free. You have a loving boyfriend, and amazing friends who are protecting you. Life is alright. Life is good. Life--"

She had to stop.

A familiar pain clenched at her chest, making breathing unbearable. The tightness that felt like she was drowning, begging for air -- screaming for it and it not being granted. It was like Albert was holding her in the bathtub again, his distorted face above her, like God. The memories all swirled into one these days, all one horrible, terrifying blur. With the left over of HYDRA's work on her brain and just the overall brain damage she's sustained, her thoughts often became jumbled together.

She looked back at her boyfriend sleeping soundly beside the crib with her baby in, the apartment doesn't have enough bedrooms for her baby to have her own.

Clara wanted to lay back down beside him, but she rose. Swallowing on her sore throat, her fluffy socks slide against the wooden floor. Clara presses her lips into a thin line as she slips on her trainers and pulled on her warm jacket, silently stepping from the warmth of her apartment and heading down to the lobby where she leaves the building. 

Maybe, just maybe, the reader reading about Clara Parker's life would've originally thought she was settling well into a life of acceptance and kindness. With the grace of her new daughter, and the newfound bond with her son, you'd think she's no longer suffering. But like a terminal illness, her suffering never ceases to exist.

It only seems to get worse as the nights pass and she works throughout the day on a terribly little amount of sleep. Every time Clara shuts her eyes, she either sees Albert's face or she'll see another horror from her past. It's a never ending cycle, and she feels like she's sinking as the days go on. Her one-on-one therapy sessions with Sam are helping, but only during the day. He's helping her get past her depression and the untimely flashbacks during the day, but at night it's a whole other story.