x. the flying car

chapter eleven
THE FLYING CAR

tw: PTSD, sexism & abuse

1942 , NEW YORK CITY 

Her dark eyes found each and everyone one of their faces, as they all fell quiet and looked at her. The older ones were smiling, creepily; it sent a chill down her spine. The middle aged men were examining her, looking her up and down and tilting their heads about, whilst the younger men had a kinder look about them and were only looking at her face -- not her body.

"Gentlemen, this is my daughter, Clara." Giuseppe announced, "She's sixteen in two days, a virgin and ripe every month on a strict cycle." Clara wanted to look at her father, wonder why he was doing this, but she should've seen it coming really. Lily was gone, and it was a week later before he decided to sell her, give her a way and send her to breed babies. Oh, how she wanted to turn and run away, but her shoes seemed to be planted on the ground. "Clara, step forward now."

He placed a hand on her lower back and guided her into the middle of the room, Christopher was sat in his chair, beside another man his age, "Clara, sweet child, it's so lovely to see that you've come to your senses about getting married. Although, it is a little late, but we'll just blame your bat-shit crazy mother for that. Giuseppe was right to send her away." There was a chorus of low chuckles, Clara wanted to go home, "Right, men, gather around for the bidding to begin."

"Pardon?" She gasped, looking up at Christopher as he stood up, turning to find her father, "You're... You're selling me, father?" There was a look of terror in her eyes; tears in her gaze, that reflected in Giuseppe's evil grin, "But, but..." Her breathing increased, "I don't want to marry, that's not what I was put on this earth to become, some breeding machine. I'm a human... not some street shit." The curse got her a fierce slap to the face, she almost fell over but Clara managed to hold herself up, gathering her stepping and not giving into her father that easily, she never has and never, ever will. Clara was taught to be quiet, she was taught to obey and be submissive; but she never listened and has become quite the advocate for women's rights, especially over the past year.

"Clara Josephine, show these men some respect, they have come from all over the great nation to see you." Giuseppe snarled at her, holding up a finger, "You will get married, your mother is not here to protect you anymore."