4.

Ashraf had something to say, but Auntie Nusaiba interrupted him, saying, "Ashraf, please hold your words and go inside."

He shot me a glare that felt like it could scorch my clothes and skin, and in response, I playfully stuck my tongue out at him before he left.

Auntie Nusaiba began, "You entered my home and instigated a dispute..." She didn't finish her sentence before I interjected, "Auntie Nusaiba, I didn't start the argument; he did."

"I'm not done yet," she continued, her tone a mix of anger and composure. I folded my arms and remained silent.

"And then, you used the words I specifically asked you not to use in my house. Anisa, for Allah's sake, Ashraf is your older brother. When will you stop quarreling with him? When will you grow up?" Auntie Nusaiba's voice reflected both frustration and a sense of patience.

"I am an adult," I replied softly.

"Yeah, I've heard that," she remarked dryly.

I stayed quiet, diverting my gaze to the captivating patterns beneath my feet. "Good morning," I greeted Auntie Nusaiba.

"Good morning, Anisa. Now you're behaving like a considerate person," Auntie Nusaiba said, motioning for me to join her. We made our way to the sofa and settled in; the living room was impressively spacious, creating an open atmosphere.

"I heard you wanted to talk to me, Mama mentioned it," I said.

"Yes, Anisa. I didn't expect you to come, so I called Mama instead, but I'm pleasantly surprised you're here so soon," Auntie Nusaiba commented, her beautiful eyes fixed on me.

"Someone managed to convince me to come," I replied. Auntie Nusaiba raised an eyebrow, her expression suggesting she was pondering something. "I wonder who that someone is," she mused.

"Just a friend," I explained, shifting my attention to the maid who entered the living room with refreshments.

Auntie Nusaiba continued with a serious tone, "You must value this friend a lot if she convinced you. Do I know her or is it a he?"

I furrowed my brow and said, "Auntie Nusaiba, I'm trying to be good, so please don't bombard me with questions." I poured some Chi Exotic into a beautiful glass and inquired, "Where are Haidar and the twins?"

"Well," Auntie Nusaiba began as she examined her fingers, "since you don't seem to care about school, they've gone to school."

I paused, lowering the cup I was sipping from and gave her an irritated look. She met my gaze and sighed. "I'm not making this up. I actually called you here to discuss it. When are you planning to go back to school? Last time we talked, you mentioned you were considering it. Are you still thinking about it?"

"No, I'm waiting for a philanthropic individual to consider our town and build a university, so I won't have to come to the city to study," I replied sarcastically.

Auntie Nusaiba crossed her legs and said, "You're not the one who has to pay for your education; I'll cover all the expenses. Just come and stay here."

"Wow, what flavor is this? It's so delicious, unlike anything I've ever tasted," I said, attempting to change the subject or, let's say, avoid the topic.

"Anisa, don't try to ignore me or divert the conversation," she insisted, furrowing her brow.

I sighed, rolled my eyes, and set down the cup of juice. "Alright, I'll only come to the city if Mama comes too. I can't come here and leave her alone in Willowbrook."

"You know Mama will never come and stay here; she loves Willowbrook too much to leave," Auntie Nusaiba said as she picked up one of the apples from the tray and idly tapped it.