29. The Banter

Auntie Nusaiba did not look herself today, and from the look of it, Anisa noticed that Auntie Nusaiba had a fight with her husband, Awwal.

Even the twins notice. The twins always know when their parents have a fight because, during such times, their father will come and meet the kids. They would gossip about their mother together with their father because most of the fight is Auntie Nusaiba's fault, but she never agrees it's her fault.

If Auntie Nusaiba pushes him out of the room, he will go to Haidar's room and sleep. Haidar will be laughing at him. Haidar always says he will never allow women to control him. Even if he fights with his wife, they must sleep in the same room, whether she likes it or not.

It's not like Awwal did not have his own room, but he just enjoys sleeping with Auntie Nusaiba, and he has gotten used to sleeping in her room or in his room together with her.

He won't feel comfortable sleeping in his room alone, so he'd rather go to Haidar, and Haidar will just laugh at him. They are very free with their father than their mother.

This morning, Auntie Nusaiba refused to eat on the same plate with Awwal as they usually eat on the same plate but not all the time.

Awwal did not mind because he knew she would eventually talk to him when she was calm. Now that he was just ignoring her and not trying to talk to her, it made her even angrier at him.

At dinner, everyone kept laughing at them silently, and even Awwal himself couldn't help but laugh because the table was quiet; no one was talking.

After dinner, Auntie Nusaiba stared at Awwal and said, "Awwal, have you started eating junk food behind my back? Look how chubby you are becoming." Auntie Nusaiba said in a yelling yet childish way.

Awwal was taken aback. "You didn't seem to have a problem with me when we got married. I was a chubby guy. Now, why are you having a problem because I am becoming chubby? You should be happy I am having rest now and finally coming back to my chubby self," Awwal said with a serious face.

He noticed she was just trying to make him talk to her or argue with her. Awwal used to be this very chubby guy, but after he got married and started working hard, he lost a lot of weight.

Now that he is at home, as he got a break from his work, he has no stress, and he is coming back to his normal chubby body. Awwal is a very handsome man; he is even more beautiful than Auntie Nusaiba. Not that Auntie Nusaiba is not beautiful; she is very beautiful, but Awwal is more cute.

Auntie Nusaiba just has a very light skin than him; that is just it. The twins look like their father, including Haidar. Haidar only has his mother's eyes, but he looks like Awwal. It sometimes annoys Auntie Nusaiba knowing that all the kids look like her husband.

Auntie Nusaiba kept yelling at him, and since he noticed she just wanted trouble, he ignored her, and the rest just kept laughing silently. "Seems like someone will be spending the night in my room," Haidar said as he closed his mouth with his palm, still laughing.

"Haidar, have some respect. Everyone to your room now," Auntie Nusaiba yelled.

They were about to watch a series, but now Auntie Nusaiba had chased them to their rooms. And only Ashraf has a television in his room.

They all decided to watch in Ashraf's room, but Anisa refused to go with them. She went to her room and lay on her bed as memories of Willowbrook came to her head.

She hadn't talked to Mama for two days now, so she decided to call Mama; she missed her so much. "Assalam, Anisa," Mama said immediately after she picked up the call.

A small smile came onto Anisa's lips, and she answered the Taslim, "Walakum Salam, Mama. Ina wuni, how u doing?"

"Am fine, my dear Anisa. I have been trying to reach you since yesterday to tell you I saw a transfer of money with your name," Mama said.