14.

I awoke early in the morning, preparing for a day of modeling work in the city. Hanifa, always one to brighten my day, showered me with compliments about my radiant skin, likening me to the fashion model I aspire to be.

Before the chauffeur's arrival, I made the choice to walk Hanifa to school. It was during this walk that I ran into Ashraf, who generously offered to give Hanifa a ride to school, knowing she was not a fan of riding on an Okada. She agreed, and we all climbed into the car, with me seated in the back while Hanifa took the front passenger seat. After we dropped Hanifa at work, Ashraf, however, insisted that I join him in the front and I refused to.

"Please, let me be your driver today," he implored.

I was perplexed by his persistent efforts to engage with me. It made me wonder if he felt remorse for the hurtful words he had previously uttered. Whenever I glanced at him, those painful memories resurfaced.

"Alright, I'll call Auntie Nusaiba to cancel the driver," I conceded, though I couldn't fathom why I had agreed to let him take me.

I promptly called Auntie Nusaiba and updated her on the change in plans.

Throughout the car ride, I found Ashraf's persistent glances through the rearview mirror rather I'm irritating. Frustrated, I shifted to the right side of the car to avoid his gaze.

Upon reaching Sahara Chic Couture, I proceeded to the familiar spot where I typically met with Mrs. Farha. "Assalam, good morning, Ma'am," I greeted her with respect.

"Morning, Anisa. Oh, Ashraf, it's been a while since your last visit. How have you been?" Mrs. Farha inquired.

"I'm doing well, Anty Farha," Ashraf replied politely.

She fixed her gaze on a stunning red gown, a tailored masterpiece that exuded beauty and opulence. The vivid red color instantly captivated my senses, as I've always held an affinity for it.

"This is the dress you'll be wearing today," Farha beamed, noticing my blush. "I can tell it's your favorite color."

"Yes, the gown is absolutely beautiful," I replied, returning her smile.

Noticing my penchant for red lipstick, Farha continued, "I thought you'd like it, considering your fondness for red. Did you practice walking in those heels?"

"Yes, ma'am, I did," I responded. "My friend Hanifa helped me; she's accustomed to wearing heels, and she said I'm improving."

"That's excellent. Did you find it challenging?" Farha inquired.

"For me, there's nothing quite as daunting as strutting in heels, especially in the world of fashion. I swear, my toes are in agony," I admitted.

Farha couldn't help but chuckle at my candidness. She complimented my radiant skin and enhanced beauty for the day's look. The makeup artist soon arrived to apply a light touch of makeup, and Mrs. Farha handed me the exquisite red gown, prompting me to proceed to the fitting room.

Emerging from the fitting room, I found Ashraf's eyes locked onto me. His expression was a curious blend of surprise, confusion, and genuine amazement as he beheld me in the gown. I turned my gaze away from him, opting to focus on Mrs. Farha and the others who marveled at my newfound beauty.

Mrs. Farha couldn't contain her praise, envisioning me as a stunning bride when my wedding day arrived.

Seating myself in a chair, I allowed them to secure my head garment. As I removed my cap, I noticed Ashraf's fixed gaze on my long hair. It wasn't the first time he had seen it, yet he appeared mesmerized, unable to tear his eyes away.