39.

"Could you please elaborate on 'just us'? We'd like to hear the whole story," Auntie Nusaiba inquired, eager to know more.

Ashraf and Anisa fell silent, each contemplating what to say. Anisa kept stealing glances at Ashraf, who reciprocated the same with each passing second.

"I warned you, dear, we can't trust your brother," Auntie Nusaiba remarked, withdrawing her hands from her chest and approaching Ashraf and Anisa.

"My love, I told you they mentioned they were going out," Awwal calmly stated, standing beside them.

Anisa sighed forcefully and said, "We just wanted some time alone to talk about various things. Can't we create memories together, just the two of us? You and uncle used to go on dates and express the desire to spend time away from Ashraf, Anisa, and the twins," she continued, mimicking Auntie Nusaiba's words. "Can't we do the same?"

"Of course, you can't do that. We're married couples; it's acceptable for us," Auntie Nusaiba stated with a serious expression, using her hands to emphasize her words.

"And what are we?" Anisa asked, also pointing at herself and Ashraf in a demonstrative manner.

"Oh, two little kids," Auntie Nusaiba replied, her eyes widening as she stared at them. "God knows what this yellow Yansh did to you," she added.

"Don't call me yellow yansh. Can't I be with her? Is it now Haram to take my sister out?" Awwal retorted, his hands in his jacket pocket as he spoke.

"You are so rude," Auntie Nusaiba said, her face frowning even more.

"Ya Awwal, is your wife on her period or what? Why is she making everything a big deal?" Ashraf remarked.

Anisa stifled a laugh at Ashraf's comment. Why would he say something like that? Doesn't he feel shy?

Auntie Nusaiba appeared surprised by his words and glanced at Awwal, who stood there as if waiting for the spectacle to end so he could go to bed. "Did you hear what your brother said to me? He has no shame," Auntie Nusaiba remarked.

Awwal almost laughed at his wife's expression; it was amusing. "I'm starting to think you're on your period as well," Awwal teased.

Auntie Nusaiba's frowning face turned into an angry one. "You won't even try to support me in yelling at them," she exclaimed.

Awwal gazed at the fingers on his right hand as he played with them. "Nope, I won't. Stop yelling at my baby brother," he said indifferently.

"She's my baby sis too," Auntie Nusaiba yelled.

Awwal looked up at her, dropping his palm down, waiting for what would happen next because he wasn't going to say any more words.

"Okay, I've had enough of all this bullshit. Fuck you and whatever's making you angry and lashing out at Ashraf. I'm done here," Anisa yelled, walking upstairs to her room. Ashraf almost laughed, appreciating what Anisa did.

Awwal was relieved that it happened; now he could finally go to bed and sleep. Today, he wasn't going to sleep in his wife's room; they would only end up fighting. "I saw that coming," Awwal said calmly.

"You're not sleeping in my room tonight," Auntie Nusaiba said angrily.

"I wasn't going to sleep in your room anyway. It's not like there's something interesting about sleeping in your room, especially since you won't let me touch you. It's been one week now," Awwal said indifferently.

"Oh! Then you're fired," Auntie Nusaiba said, growing even angrier. Something must be up with her today, Ashraf thought.

"You're not at your workplace, and you can't fire me because I'm not your employee. Only Alhaji Mamman, 'my boss,' has the right to do that," Awwal said, still gazing at his wife, realizing something must be causing her to act this way.