44.

It's been a week, and Ashraf has been distant, often leaving her alone without explanation, even after enjoyable moments together. Despite her inquiries, he avoids discussing what's wrong, causing her increasing worry. As Ramadan approaches, preparations are underway, and school is set to resume. The situation isn't what she expected in her life with Ashraf, and it appears he shares the sentiment.

She prepared to leave for school but realized she hadn't informed Ashraf about her return today. Frustrated by his lack of communication, she decided to distance herself. Sitting in the living room, she rested her cheek on her palm, anticipating his appearance. Yet, it seemed he wouldn't be going to work today.

He descended and headed for the kitchen, spotting her on the sofa, seemingly oblivious to his presence. Dressed in his pajamas, he felt a pang of guilt seeing her looking worried. Was it because he didn't come home early yesterday?

Observing her dressed up, he called her name, and she turned in surprise, having not heard his footsteps. "Good morning," she greeted, eyes fixed on the tiles.

"Morning. Where are you going all dressed up and looking cute?" he teased, expecting a blush that didn't come. He sensed a problem.

"I was about to head to school, and I remembered no one was there to take me," she replied sadly, attempting a smile as she fiddled with her fingers.

It had been a while since he started staring at her, his gaze fixed on her since he noticed her on the sofa. Though aware of his scrutiny, she made no effort to meet his eyes. "Let me change my clothes, then I will take you," he offered, not questioning why she hadn't informed him about school resuming, which slightly irked her. "No, don't worry. Just give me your car keys; I can drive myself," she responded calmly and softly, concealing her annoyance.

"Are you sure?" He sensed something was amiss; this wasn't the Anisa he knew.

She nodded, and he headed upstairs to retrieve his car keys. Returning, he handed them to her, wishing for a safe drive. Grateful, she kissed his cheek and began to walk away, but he pulled her back by the waist. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Looking up at him, she hesitated before responding, "Yes." Trying to pull away, his firm grip prevented her. He quickly kissed her on the lips, letting go as soon as it ended, and headed to the kitchen, reminding her to take care.

........

After lectures, Anisa and Jiddah headed to the cafe as she hadn't eaten breakfast. While walking, Hafsat blocked their path with her girls in tow.

"It seems you had a pretty good holiday. You're glowing like a bride," Hafsat remarked.

"Hmm, too bad I'm still doing well, and I don't have to hide my face from people as you suggested," Anisa replied, showing no indifference and avoiding eye contact.

"Well, change of plans. You're lucky. But watch your back," Hafsat retorted, a hint of annoyance evident.

"Too bad your plan didn't succeed. Next time, learn to plot better," Anisa said, giving her a creepy look.

"What do you mean?" Hafsat frowned, puzzled.

"Hmm, I'm Anisa, the gossip girl. I know almost everything. You can't plot on me without me finding out, so I'd say you should be the one watching your back—both you, your brother, and Jessica."

Hafsat's face dropped into surprise. How did Anisa know they were working with Jessica?

"Surprised, right? Anyways, see ya," Anisa said with a big smile as she walked away, Jiddah following. After buying snacks, they sat, and Anisa asked Jiddah about her vacation in Bida. Jiddah, a Nupe girl, stays with her Gbagyi grandmother in Minna due to school. What a mix.