12.

As I was on the brink of asking her about what she was concealing, I recalled Hanifa's words from the previous day. We had a heated argument yesterday, and reigniting it today might exacerbate the situation. Perhaps this question could wait for another day.

I gazed at her; she appeared lost in her thoughts. "Anisa, please have your fruit salad," I suggested, pulling her back from her reverie. She began eating without uttering a word. "You don't look well. Are you sure everything's okay?" I inquired.

She simply nodded, indicating she was fine. But I knew she wasn't. "I'm going to head downstairs for a bath," I announced as I rose.

"Thank you for the fruit salad. Could you, perhaps, make me a strawberry milkshake later?" she asked somewhat awkwardly.

I offered a reassuring smile and replied, "Of course, I will. You should get some rest; you look pale." With that, I left her room, my heart lighter, convinced that Hanifa's plan was making progress. In the living room, I encountered Mama, busily tying bundles of ginger, which I presumed she sold them.

I greeted her, and she responded, her tone noticeably serious. "What were you doing in her room upstairs?" she inquired.

"I was just looking around," I replied, my hands tucked into my sweater pockets.

"Her room is the only one upstairs, and I know Hanifa has left for work. Don't lie to me. If you go into my daughter's room alone again, there will be consequences," she warned sternly.

I found it rather amusing, though I dared not let out a laugh. What did Mama think I'd do to Anisa? After all, she was just my sister, and I had no intentions of harming or manipulating her into anything wrong. Sometimes, older folks can be quite humorous.

"Yes, Mama, I'm sorry. I simply took some fruit salad to her, that's all. She seemed a bit unwell," I explained.

Mama inquired about Anisa's condition, and I mentioned it might be due to the cooler weather. She mentioned that she'd check on her.

I offered to assist her with tying the bundles of ginger, but I had no experience with it, making it somewhat challenging for me.

Mama appeared concerned when I shared the news about Anisa not feeling well. I suggested she go and check on her while I handled the ginger tying for her.

With that, she went to Anisa's room.

❀❀❀❀❀❀

Anisa's Pov

I had finished the fruit salad that Ashraf had prepared for me. It's not that I wasn't upset with him; that's precisely why I accepted the fruit salad. I appreciated the fact that he didn't bring up last night's argument, which was exactly what I needed at the moment. The fruit salad was delectable, prepared just the way I liked it.

I lay on the bed, and Mama entered the room. I greeted her, and she responded, mentioning that Ashraf had informed her that I wasn't feeling well. I explained that it was merely a minor cold, but I had already consumed hot water. She seemed to notice it was my time of the month, yet she wisely refrained from saying anything, knowing how much I disliked it when someone acknowledged it.

❀❀❀

Hanifa returned from work, accompanied by Khadija, whom she had met on her way home. I warmly welcomed Hanifa and listened as she mentioned that Willowbrook had turned quite cold.

"Khadija, I hope your mother didn't give you a hard time the other day," I inquired.

Khadija's response was laced with a touch of humor. "Well, she almost had me for breakfast."