11.

I let out a deep sigh, my gaze fixed on him. "Bullshit. What you're saying... it's hard to believe. It feels like you're only telling me this to avoid my anger," I said.

Ashraf replied earnestly, "No, I genuinely love you as my sister."

Doubt still gnawed at me, so I shook my head and turned away. I returned home, my half-eaten cotton candy still in hand. As I entered the room, my heart ached with hurt and sadness. Hanifa had already gone to bed, so I laid down on my own, unable to bear the emotional turmoil. I reached for the glass of water by Hanifa's bedside. She always kept it there for those late-night thirsts.

The water was cool, though the weather was already chilly. I drank it anyway, and it seemed to soothe the turmoil in my heart.

That night, I couldn't find rest in slumber. I longed to cry, but tears remained elusive. It was the first time in a long while that I'd felt such an urge. I wrapped myself in my blanket, a heavy shroud of loneliness enveloping me.

Amidst this emotional turmoil, I began to experience pelvic pain, suspecting it was due to my menstrual cycle. I used to have my period twice a month, a norm I was told some girls experienced.

I woke Hanifa for the Subhi Salah, and she noticed something was amiss when she saw my pale complexion and sleepy eyes after her prayers.

When she inquired, I brushed it off, attributing my restlessness to a sleepless night. Her expression suggested she wasn't entirely convinced, but she didn't press further.

Shortly after, I got up to retrieve something from my local wardrobe, and that's when Hanifa's voice rang out, "Um, you've got a blood stain on your nightgown."

I was wearing a short nightgown that barely reached my knees, and I sighed in exasperation. "Thank you," I murmured, before heading to the bathroom to clean myself and take a bath. I had stained clothes, so I changed into fresh attire and applied some Vaseline to my skin. I returned to bed, hoping that sleep might finally embrace me, as I was feeling rather drowsy.

As Hanifa polished her sneakers, she asked, "Were you experiencing period pain last night? Maybe that's why you couldn't sleep."

I cringed and hesitated to respond; I've always been uncomfortable letting anyone know when I'm on my period, it just feels awkward.

Hanifa persisted, "Are you sure you're okay? Is the pain too much?"

I let out a sigh, trying to downplay it, "Come on, Hanifa, I really dislike people knowing when I'm on my period. It just makes me feel weird."

Hanifa, undeterred, reminded me, "Well, I'm a woman, not a guy. I know you usually keep it a secret, but I've noticed before. The other day, you were about to put on a sanitary pad, but when you saw me approaching, you quickly concealed it and pretended." then she chuckled.

I turned to her, giving her a stern look, "You noticed that?"

She nodded, unfazed, "Yes, I did. But don't worry, I won't bring it up again. Now, get some rest, and don't worry about it."

I drew a blanket and covering my face and body, I mumbled, "I just don't like anyone knowing. Now, hush and head to work."

Hanifa chuckled, shaking her head, "You're quite the character, Anisa. I'm off to work. Goodbye." I waved in response, still concealed beneath the blanket.

✺✺✺✺✺✺✺

Ashraf's Pov

As soon as I noticed Hanifa leaving, I quietly trailed behind her and soon caught up. When she realized I was walking beside her, she greeted, "Good morning, Yaya Ashraf."