15.

Ashraf's pov

Anisa and I had been in a tense mood ever since our recent argument. She had been avoiding me, and her unwillingness to make eye contact with me was troubling. I found myself plagued by irrational thoughts, wondering if she was involved with other men. Perhaps, I shouldn't have resorted to those hurtful words during our fight, but it didn't change the fact that she frequented the club.

Today, I accompanied her to the city where she worked, and she seemed visibly irritated with my presence. However, I couldn't help but be captivated by her when she donned that stunning red gown.

Despite her constant glares, I was secretly delighted that she was even looking in my direction. I strangely found solace in her annoyance, and I couldn't quite fathom why I was trying so hard to be considerate. Was it my attempt to make amends for the hurtful words I'd used? I couldn't say for certain. I simply missed her, even if our interactions involved just stolen glances and feigned indifference. Lately, she hadn't even spared me a glance, even when we stood close.

But today, her irritated glances and the playful drama of removing her heels from her toes brought me a sense of familiarity. This was the Anisa I knew, not the one who wouldn't acknowledge my presence engage in our usual bickering, or taunt me with the nickname I despised, "yellow Yansh."

The first time she shot me a meaningful look after our argument was when I intervened to protect her from that man who was harassing her.

❀❀❀

I entered the kitchen to find Hanifa questioning the contents of the refrigerator, puzzled by the presence of a chocolate milkshake.

"That's not milk; it's a chocolate milkshake," I calmly informed her, my hands casually resting in the pockets of my trousers.

"Ehw, who drinks chocolate shakes for breakfast?" Hanifa inquired, turning to face me while clutching the jug filled with the chocolate concoction.

"That's Anisa's preference. She's allergic to milk, so I made it specifically for her, although it appears she didn't finish it. You should give it a try; it's quite delicious," I suggested, withdrawing my hands from my pockets and reaching for a cup.

Hanifa contemplated for a moment, placing the jug on the table. "Well, since it seems no one is interested in it, we might as well dispose of it. If Nepa takes their light, it'll spoil," she reasoned.

I protested, "No, do you know how far I had to walk to get those chocolates? We're not throwing it away," as I added some sugar to the cup I had chosen.

She bestowed a smile upon me, a playful gleam in her eyes as she stood with her hands on her hips and remarked, "Walking a considerable distance just to procure chocolates for a chocolate shake – that sounds like love to me."

I paused momentarily, the steaming pot of hot water hovering in my hand, regarding her with a measured expression. "I don't love her," I responded, lowering the pot gently to the counter. "She's my sister; it's merely a brother's affection," I explained, adding a Lipton tea bag to the cup of hot water.

She shook her head with a sigh, an enigmatic expression gracing her features, which prompted me to turn and look at her curiously. At that very moment, Anisa entered the kitchen, and her eyes zeroed in on Hanifa clutching the jug of the chocolate milkshake.

"What are you doing with my milkshake?" Anisa inquired, her tone filled with surprise and concern.

I intervened, offering an explanation without meeting Anisa's gaze, "Hanifa was considering discarding the milkshake," though I didn't anticipate any response from her.