24.

"Ashraf, I really need your help this time. Just let me know what you want, and I'll do it," she pleaded with Ashraf as they exited the shopping mall.

"Fine, I'll help, but on one condition," Ashraf replied, gripping the car door handle.

"What's the condition? Just tell me," Anisa urged.

"First, stop pouting your lips and giving me those puppy-dog eyes," Ashraf said, looking at her sternly.

"Ashraf," Anisa playfully called his name, but he found it distracting.

He ran his hands through his black hair and gave her a firm look. "Get into the car and stop acting like a stubborn child. People are watching," Ashraf said, adopting the tone of an exasperated older brother.

"Ashraf, please," Anisa persisted, sounding like a determined younger sister as she continued to pout.

He despised how her blue eyes could sway him. A couple nearby, observing their interaction, advised him to give in to her wishes.

"Just give your sister what she wants; she looks so adorable. Just accept her request," the man suggested, and his wife chimed in, "See how cute she looks just for you to agree. Please, just say yes; our younger ones can be quite stubborn."

As the couples engaged with them, Ashraf couldn't help but stare at Anisa. Despite feeling the urge to knock some sense into her, he found himself smiling at the expressions she made.

Covering her face with his palm, he teased, "Anisa, look at how cute you are. Stop making that face," then removed his hand from her face. He couldn't hide his amusement, realizing he'd never seen this adorable side of her before.

Chuckling, he conceded, "Fine, get into the car."

Anisa lit up like a child been promised a candy, exclaiming, "Yay!" while clapping her hands. Hurrying to the other side of the car, she paused, returning to the couple and thanked them. "Thank you so much; I really appreciate it. You don't know what this means to me."

"It's okay," the woman replied, smiling at Anisa, who then rushed into the car's front passenger seat. Ashraf bid the couple farewell and started the car, with Anisa beaming beside him.

"I never knew you looked so cute when you're asking for something you want badly," Ashraf remarked, accelerating.

Anisa, still smiling, remained silent. Ashraf teased her about his usual struggles to get what he wanted from her. "You're lucky we met those couples; people were staring and recording us. I hope we don't end up on the northern blog."

"What would have been your condition?" she asked, looking at him.

"Since you're saved from that couple, I'm not going to tell you," he said.

"Ashraf, please tell me," Anisa pleaded in her tiny, childish voice, leaving him puzzled by her unusual behavior.

Turning his gaze back to the road, Ashraf said, "If I tell you, you'll have to do it."

"Ashraf..." Her words trailed off.

"Just tell me the address we're going to," Ashraf instructed, and she showed him the address.

Ever since he overhears Auntie Nusaiba and Awwal discussing their marriage, Ashraf has felt a shift in his demeanor. Confused about his emotions and drawn even more to Anisa, he wondered if it was a dream. The unexpected news left him unsure whether to feel happy or not.

Arriving at the address in a wealthy neighborhood, Ashraf parked the car. Anisa admired the houses, assuming Hanifa lived in one of them.

"This is London Street. What kind of house were you expecting?" Ashraf asked, unable to shake the image of Anisa's earlier cuteness from his mind.

"What's our plan now?" he asked.

"We'll go out, ring any doorbell, and ask if they know Hanifa. Simple, right?" Anisa suggested.

"Hmm, don't you think this is awkward?" Ashraf questioned.

"I don't know, but I'll do anything for my friend," she replied, opening the car door. He followed her, and they approached a house, asking people if they knew Hanifa. Despite one man seeming to recognize her, he denied it and even chased them away from his house.

They continued walking until she noticed something – the house number in one of Hanifa's Instagram pictures matched the one she was facing. Anisa informed Ashraf, and they approached the house, repeatedly ringing the bell with no response.

A passing woman informed them that the occupants had left the country and were unlikely to return soon. She claimed to know them from doing occasional work for them and mentioned that Hanifa, who had gone missing but was found a few days ago, had left with them.

Anisa, though thankful for the information, sensed something off about the woman's honesty. Collecting her number, just in case, Anisa and Ashraf returned home, Anisa feeling disheartened.

In her room, Anisa called Musbahu and Khadija, sharing the details. Musbahu questioned, "Do you believe Hanifa is out of the country?"

"No, Musbahu, I swear I don't think they left. Maybe they went to another city or to Abuja, but I don't entirely trust that woman," Anisa replied.

After ending the call, Anisa went to the bathroom, took a bath, and emerged, clad in a robe, still grappling with the heaviness of finding Hanifa.

Surprised by Khadija's call so soon after their previous conversation, Anisa answered to hear Musbahu's distrust. "Anisa, Musbahu is having doubts about you. He thinks the trouble you faced at the club might be connected to Hanifa's disappearance. He plans to ask Dimitri about what happened."

Anisa sighed, responding, "I can't blame him. He's just in love and misses her so much. It's easier for him to point fingers. I can't see his fault."

Khadija shared more unsettling news. "Dimitri's club has been closed by the police."

"Are you serious?" Anisa asked.

"Yes, I am," Khadija confirmed.

Feeling disheartened, Anisa contemplated calling Dimitri, but his warning echoed in her mind, cautioning against it for safety reasons.

Emotionally low, Haidar entered her room, and they began discussing the situation.