23.

Together with Auntie Nusaiba, they arrived at the school. After completing the necessary procedures, Anisa was directed to her department. Upon entering the lecture hall, she noticed the lecturer already engrossed in teaching, and all eyes turned towards her. Despite the attention, the lecturer continued without acknowledging her presence.

Taking a seat, Anisa sensed curious glances from some students, making her wonder if there was something amiss. Although unfazed, she focused on the lecture, unaware that her thoughts were lingering on the chocolate Auntie Nusaiba had forbidden her from eating that morning.

Earlier that day, Anisa had attempted to indulge in some refrigerator chocolate, only to be thwarted by Auntie Nusaiba's disapproval. Despite her disappointment, she cherished the calming effect chocolate had on her.

Interrupting her reverie, a girl sitting beside her welcomed Anisa to El Amin International University. Startled, Anisa shifted her attention to the friendly stranger. "Thank you," she whispered back, introducing herself as Jiddah. "I'm Anisa," she added.

After the lectures, as they waited for the next one, Anisa observed the class and found herself surrounded by affluent individuals. Some girls stared and whispered amongst themselves, but Anisa remained composed, focusing on her own affairs.

"I wonder what the gossip girl is doing here," remarked Hafsat, one of the girls who had been eyeing Anisa. This comment caught Anisa off guard, as she didn't know Hafsat and vice versa.

"Excuse me, have we met before?" Anisa inquired, crossing her legs and fixing a direct gaze at Hafsat, drawing the attention of the students around them.

"No, but I have a cousin in Willowbrook, and I used to hear stories about you," Hafsat responded confidently, leveraging her wealthy background to express herself without inhibition.

"Isn't she the girl posted on the northern blog dancing at a wedding?" interjected another girl. Anisa carefully observed their reactions, trying to discern whether they intended to provoke her.

"So, do you have an issue with me being featured on the northern blog page dancing, or do you take exception to me being labeled a gossip girl?" Anisa questioned, her hands folded across her chest.

Hafsat and the other girls chuckled, with Hafsat remarking, "Nope, we just have a problem with having a low-class girl like you in this luxurious school of ours." Anisa responded with a nod and a smile, surprising the girls who expected a different reaction.

"If being in this luxurious rich school of yours is a problem for you, then it's your problem, not mine. I don't give a damn if you have an issue with me or not. I don't have a problem with any of you. Have fun dealing with your problem," Anisa confidently declared, leaving the girls visibly irritated and prompting laughter from some classmates.

Anisa put on her earpiece, popped in some chewing gum, and adopted an indifferent demeanor, encouraging students to start clapping for her.

"She is so annoying; don't worry, I know what to do with her," Hafsat muttered.

After their lectures, Anisa waited for her driver. As she stood there, someone called her name and asked if she was waiting for someone to pick her up. Intrigued, she turned and was met with a sparkling smile.

It was Jiddah, the girl Anisa sat beside in class. Anisa acknowledged her name being called and confirmed, "Yes, I am."

Jiddah sighed and reassured, "Don't mind what those girls said earlier in class. They have a bad habit."

Anisa responded with a nonchalant attitude, "Hmm, did I look bothered about what they said? That's their problem; I don't care," her hands folded around her chest.

"Though the way you answered them was good, it made Hafsat annoyed. Anyways, nice meeting you, Anisa," Jiddah remarked.

"Nice meeting you too," Anisa replied.

During dinner, everyone inquired about Anisa's first day at school, and she responded with laughter, sharing the amusing encounter with Hafsat labeling her as a low-class girl.

Anisa, while spooning her food, remarked with a chuckle, "Why would a rich person have a problem with a poor girl like me? It's just hilarious, wallahi. Is that what you rich people do in the city?"

Awwal expressed surprise that Anisa wasn't upset about being called a low-class girl. "Yes, Uncle Handsome, I am not angry I was called a low-class girl, and I am, so why should I be angry" Anisa clarified.

"I didn't say that," Awwal replied, looking taken aback.

"Yeah, but it was written all over your face," Anisa observed before taking a sip of water.

Auntie Nusaiba chimed in, "You don't know Anisa well; she can tell what is written on your face and sometimes even what you are saying in your mind. Sometimes I wonder if she's a mind reader. I swear you have a jinn inside of you."

"I don't have a jinn; I am perfectly alone in my body, so stop saying that," Anisa retorted.

"Can you all keep quiet and eat peacefully? Mommy, what happened to eating quietly?" Haidar interjected.

"Thank you, Haidar," Ashraf acknowledged as they continued with their dinner.

✺✺

In Willowbrook, Khadija and Musbahu sat in a corner, deeply missing Anisa, as did others in the community.

"Have you heard anything from Hanifa?" Khadija inquired.

"No, nothing from her. Anisa called and mentioned finding a location on Hanifa's Instagram. She plans to check it out," Musbahu responded.

"I hope she finds her," Khadija expressed.

"I really miss her. Sometimes I feel like going crazy. Anisa doesn't deserve this. I just hope whatever trouble she's in isn't connected to Hanifa's disappearance," Musbahu shared his concern.

"No, Musbahu, I don't think so," Khadija reassured him.

"No, Khadija, Dimitri's club is closed by the police. Whatever goes on there is significant. I think I need to ask Dimitri what happened and why Anisa had to leave abruptly," Musbahu stated, his expression showing dissatisfaction.