21.

"What? I thought we agreed it's not going to happen now. I don't think we should tell them at this moment," Awwal said as he gently touched her hair, which lay on the pillow.

She remained still, staring at him, and he gave her a questioning look. She sighed without uttering a word, fixing her gaze back on her fiddling fingers. This calm and quiet demeanor was typical of her when she was scared, confused, or worried about something happening.

He sensed something was amiss as he observed her, especially noting her continuous fiddling with her fingers.

"Explain why you believe we should tell them now. Did you witness something?" Awwal inquired, his gaze fixed on her.

She shifted her entire body to face him, her eyes avoiding direct contact as she revealed, "I witnessed Ashraf holding Anisa's waist, and they were on the brink of a kiss."

"Are you sure?" he inquired, seeking confirmation. She responded with a nod, emphasizing her certainty through a subtle blink.

Expressing her concern, she divulged, "I can't say if they've done something clandestine, but I'm genuinely worried. They love each other, yet they're oblivious. Just the other day, Anisa stood before Ashraf, alluring in her provocative nightgown, her hair unbound. It seemed like a seductive gesture."

After a brief pause, she continued, "I fear he might act impulsively with my baby sister. Men can be unpredictable when enticed, especially someone like Anisa, with her alluring physique."

Awwal reassured, "He's my baby brother too. I doubt Ashraf would harm your baby sister. While I appreciate your concern, perhaps we should discuss it with Mama first. Convincing them about this arranged marriage might not be easy." Awwal proposed, navigating the delicate situation with caution.

Auntie Nusaiba sighed, and Awwal, sensing her distress, offered reassurance, urging her not to dwell on the matter. With that, the conversation concluded, and they retired for the night.

The following morning, the household bustled with activity. Some were preparing breakfast, while others readied themselves for school. Ashraf descended the stairs with intensity, confronting Anisa.

"I've been yearning for this moment, Anisa," he bellowed. "Auntie Nusaiba informed me last night that you want me as your driver to school. Are you out of your mind? What's going on in your head to suggest such a thing?"

Anisa, taken aback, stood frozen. Her hands raised in surrender, she leaned slightly on the dining table, steadying herself against the force of Ashraf's tirade. Her wide-eyed gaze fixated on him as he continued his vehement outburst.

A tense silence enveloped the room as Ashraf's anger became palpable. The twins, relishing the drama, exchanged a triumphant high-five, finding joy in the impending conflict.

"Easy there, Yellow Yansh," Anisa retorted, attempting to diffuse the tension with playful banter. "I thought having a handsome guy like you as my driver would be nice. Picture it—a stunning driver taking me to school. I'd be the talk of the town—the girl with the cute, handsome chauffeur."

Salamatu chimed in with a teasing grin, "A new title for you, ya Ashraf—the handsome driver! Haha!" The twins erupted in laughter and applause.

Ashraf, somewhat appeased, responded, "Well, I'm glad you acknowledge my handsomeness. Thanks for the admiration."

Anisa, seizing the moment, playfully teased him about his reluctance to admit her beauty. "You always claim I'm not cute, that I'm ugly. But those stares you give me tell a different story. You can't deny the fact that you find it hard to look away, despite what you say."