28. unveiling shadows

In Mujaheed's presence, she often senses a disquiet, a feeling that something isn't quite right. Perplexed by this, she confided in Ashraf, questioning if her actions were amiss.

"Why ask such a question?" he inquired.

"Nothing," she replied, concealing a deeper unease.

"I believe we should discuss this at home," he suggested, and she silently agreed. He chauffeured them to 'Chicken Republic, where he graciously treated her to shawarma and snacks—expressing her gratitude, they then headed home and ascended the stairs.

Upon arrival, Auntie Nusaiba and Awwal were engaged in a hushed discussion by the sofa. The twins, returning from Islamiya, entered the house, appearing visibly upset, engaging in a heated argument.

"It's not my fault; I wasn't the one who gossiped with them," Salma defended herself.

"You're just lying; how else would they find out?" Salamatu accused.

In the midst of their heated exchange, Haidar nonchalantly strolled past, seemingly oblivious to the turmoil, making his way upstairs. Auntie Nusaiba and Awwal observed the twins' quarrel.

"Shouldn't we intervene?" Awwal inquired.

"Nope, let's just observe. Handling kids is easier than dealing with Ashraf and Anisa. Watch and listen to what they're fighting about," Auntie Nusaiba suggested.

Awwal frowned, trying to grasp her perspective. The twins continued their argument, and Salma, after some back-and-forth, remarked, "Thank goodness I'm not the one with a boyfriend, ignoring her sister in school."

"I'm not ignoring you in school," Salamatu retorted.

"When kids argue, sometimes it's best to listen rather than intervene. They might say things that will grab your attention, like your daughter said about having a boyfriend," Auntie Nusaiba explained.

"Ah, that makes sense. How did you handle kids like this?" Awwal inquired.

"Believe me, it's easier than dealing with Ashraf and Anisa," Auntie Nusaiba replied.

Out of nowhere, Auntie Nusaiba overheard Salamatu exclaim, "What the fuck, who do you think you are to tell me this?"

"Okay, okay, okay," Auntie Nusaiba said as he walked tontge twins. "that's enough. Absolutely no one is allowed to use profanity or any offensive language in my house. If you want to use those words, go outside," Auntie Nusaiba asserted.

Anisa and Ashraf descended the stairs, curious about the commotion.

"She was the one fucking with me, and now she denies it, claiming I'm ignoring her at school," Salamatu explained.

Auntie Nusaiba directed her gaze to Awwal, and including Anisa, remarked, "See what you've caused, Anisa."

Anisa, confused, responded, "What did I do? I just came downstairs."

"My kids are now using profanity," Auntie Nusaiba pointed out, and Anisa fell silent. "Now you see what you did?" she added.

"And what's this I'm hearing about having a boyfriend?" Auntie Nusaiba inquired, turning her gaze to the Twins, prompting guilty looks from the twins.

"Can we discuss this later, please?" Awwal suggested.

The children breathed a sigh of relief, grateful that the topic wasn't being discussed immediately. This provided them with some time to think of a suitable lie to say. "Head to your rooms now, freshen up, and remember to pray before joining us for dinner," Auntie Nusaiba directed, and the kids replied, "Yes, Mommy."