43.

"What the heck! How could he make a decision without talking to her? He should have asked if she was ready for this. Now, she has no option; she has to do as he says—after all, he is now her husband.

She flicked her eyes to his face and could see he was dead serious. He looked very annoyed, and she could sense how fed up he was with all of this. Even she herself was fed up with it all."

Auntie Nusaiba could see that Anisa wasn't surprised about her being married to Ashraf. Perhaps it was because he didn't mention her name, and Anisa might have thought he was married to someone else. However, the look on Anisa's face was normal, showing no sign of jealousy. "Anisa, did you know Ashraf was married?"

Anisa chuckled, folding her hands on her chest. "I'm Anisa; I know everything. Do you think I wouldn't find out? You, of all people, got me married without asking if I wanted it or not. And you think I wouldn't know. Ashraf didn't tell me, but I still found out."

Auntie Nusaiba was somewhat speechless now. The kids were surprised by the news of the marriage but also happy for them. They couldn't wait to start going for weekends at Anisa's house.

Funny how these kids think sometimes.

Awwal was quiet, not saying a word; he was also fed up, wanting to see his brother live together with his wife. He had tried to hide the reason why they never wanted to tell them. They are grown-ups now; they need to know and accept their fate.

"Well, we did not approve for you to take her," Auntie Nusaiba said, demonstrating with her palm.

Awwal thought it's time to talk and cut to the chase. "Anisa, do you want to stay with your husband?"

Anisa was quiet for a moment before she spoke. She wouldn't feel shy, and she didn't care if Auntie Nusaiba was going to feel bad she was going to say what she wanted. "I will go with him."

"Then you should get ready and move to your new home. May Allah bless you both and your marriage," Awwal said with a smile. Before they could answer with 'Ameen,' Auntie Nusaiba gave Awwal a stern look and said, "What?". This surprised her; she didn't expect this from Awwal. "You are just going to let him take her."

"My love, for how long should we keep them away from each other? We are all grown up; keeping them apart won't solve anything. Whatever has happened has happened. Please let them be," came Awwal's voice.

"Awwal," she called his name, and he was not surprised she did. "Why will I let them go, you of..." Before she could finish, he cut her off. "Ashraf, go upstairs, get ready, and take your wife."

Ashraf nodded, and Anisa stood there, eager to uncover the secret they were keeping. "Why won't you just tell us what you are hiding? Why won't you say it? I want to know this secret you are keeping from us."

The room fell silent, as if the angels had just passed. Awwal wanted to talk, really wanted to speak, but he couldn't be the one to reveal this secret to his brother. "We will talk about it some other time because I don't think now is the right time to discuss it."

Anisa rolled her blue eyes as she bent her head down in fear and disappointment. She walked upstairs, and Ashraf followed behind her. The twins also went upstairs—Haidar to Ashraf's room and the twins to Anisa's room.

Anisa began packing, and the twins assisted her. "I'm so happy you're married to ya Ashraf; now we have a place to visit and spend the weekend," Salma exclaimed with excitement, following Anisa as she walked to her closet, picked up clothes, and returned to the suitcase on her bed.

"I can't wait to have you all over; I did miss you," Anisa said, placing clothes in the suitcase.

"How do you think you and Ashraf are going to live? I just hope you don't continue your little fights. These days you guys have been acting romantic," Salamatu, sitting on a chair, remarked.