20.

I stood by the dining table as the twins engaged in playful antics. It appeared they had a disagreement, as the tension between them was palpable when observed closely.

Haidar, witnessing the scene, could only shake his head in response. Meanwhile, Ashraf was yet to return from work, and the evening had already descended. Seizing the rare opportunity of personal freedom, I aimed to embrace my authentic self, shielded from judgmental gazes.

Auntie Nusaiba, proprietor of a thriving gold-selling business, arrived home later than usual. As I casually poured water into my cup, I initiated a conversation with her, revealing, "Auntie, I've made the decision to enroll in school."

The declaration startled one of the twins mid-bite, prompting an exchange of surprised glances between them, momentarily forgetting their earlier conflict.

Auntie Nusaiba responded with a casual, "Yeah okay, that is good." However, as the weight of her words sank in, she abruptly turned towards me, questioning, "Wait, did I hear you correctly, or is it just my fatigue playing tricks on me after a stressful day?"

"I'm serious," I affirmed, taking a sip of the water in my cup.

Addressing the Twins, Auntie Nusaiba expressed her surprise, "Did you both hear what Anisa just said, or am I imagining things?"

Salma, still recovering from the shock, admitted, "I almost choked on my food when I heard that."

Expressing disbelief, the other twin added, "I have no words; this doesn't align with the Anisa we know."

Auntie Nusaiba reassured herself, "Indeed, this isn't the Anisa we know."

In the midst of the unfolding drama, Haidar remained unfazed, a serene smile playing on his lips as he enjoyed his meal, seemingly unshaken by the surprising revelation.

Anisa's frustration burst forth in a raised voice, "What the heck! Seriously, you guys shouldn't mess with my emotions; I'm trying to be serious here."

Auntie Nusaiba, recognizing the familiar intensity, remarked, "Okay, that's the Anisa I know," emphasizing with a gesture.

"I'm serious about wanting to go to school. Why is that so hard for you all to grasp?" Anisa implored, attempting to regain composure amidst her agitation.

Awwal and Ashraf entered the scene, freezing in response to Anisa's revelation. Auntie Nusaiba intervened with a cautionary tone, "Mind your language, Anisa."

Unfazed, Anisa retorted, "Yeah, don't tell me to mind my language. At least now you're taking me seriously." Her demeanor shifted, reverting to the familiar Anisa they all recognized, a transformation met with no surprise from those who knew her well.

"I feel like I'm in a dream. I'll just stand here and wait to wake up from this," Awwal remarked, approaching the sofa.

Anisa, wearied by the lack of serious reception, expressed her disappointment, "Is anyone going to take me seriously? I thought you all wanted me to go to school."

A hush fell over the room, signaling Auntie Nusaiba's realization that Anisa was genuinely committed.

"I'm sorry, dear. I'm so happy, Anisa," Auntie Nusaiba expressed, walking toward Anisa to envelop her in a warm hug. "I'm incredibly proud of you," she added with genuine joy.

Simultaneously, the Twins and Haidar chimed in with an affectionate "Aww," and the room transformed with smiles all around.

Relieved, Awwal remarked, "Thank God the dream is over." Both Awwal and Ashraf approached them, offering congratulations. Ashraf, citing fatigue, excused himself, heading upstairs.