Chapter - 19

Flashback

Pihu's POV:

Last night I cried in the bathroom and slept there only. I woke up once light came straight into my eyes. I rubbed my eyes and looked at my surroundings. Everything came rushing back and I started to feel like crying again. I can't sit here and cry for the things. I got up from there and changed into a new saree. I draped myself in a red color saree with red bangles. I made a middle partition and made a bun of my hair. I put a nuptial chain and a sindoor.

Few guests would come to see me so I went straight to the hall

Few guests would come to see me so I went straight to the hall. I went and touched the feet of Shlok's mother and Father.

"Do I need to cook anything today?" I asked his mother as I knew it would be my first Rasoi. It is the tradition where newly wedded women cook something for the first time in their new house.

"For now you can come and sit with us. My friends might be coming soon," she told me and made a space for me to sit.

"Where is Shlok beta(child)?" his father asked and turned my mood sour.

"He is still sleeping," I informed him as when I left the room he was still lying on the couch.

"This child can't wake up on time today," his father said angrily.

"He might be tired of all the rituals. Let him sleep for some time," his mother tried to calm his anger down.

"You are spoiling him like always," his father spat the words. Her mother smiled and said, "OK leave it enough of this talk."

She turned towards me and asked, "Did you sleep well, child?"

"Yes if you think crying and then sleeping on the bathroom floor is considered as good sleep" I wanted to reply to her. But instead replied, "Yes it was uncomfortable at first but then because of tiredness I slept peacefully."

Before we could continue our conversation the doorbell rang. She got up from her seat and said to her husband "You go and welcome them." "I will make Pihu ready for the ceremony" she continued.

When his father left his mother turned and went inside. She brought a chunni from inside and motioned me to sit. Then she put that chunni over my head and said "You can cover your face for now. When they will come we can start the ritual."

Soon the ladies entered and everyone greeted each other. "First let's start with the ritual," his mother announced.

One lady came and lifted my veil slightly. "Congratulations and you look beautiful," saying she kept the gift on my lap. One by one each woman came and repeated the steps.

"Neetuji your daughter-in-law is glowing it looks like she is having after after-marriage glow," she said to my mother-in-law.

"No, this glow is because of crying all night" I wanted to scream at her but refrained from doing so.