14. Freedom

LILLY:

I noticed Phoenix's change in behavior immediately. I didn't buy it though. Why would he suddenly not throw venom at me? One day he was growling at me because I looked his way, now, he was lying beside me on the same bed without much complaint. 

What was he planning, though? Did he realize that treating me like an enemy didn't push me away so now he decided to go for my trust, so I would be blind and turn my back on him so he could finally stab me and let me fall away from Brax?

I wouldn't let him.

But boy it pissed me off when he asked my name when I've been staying here for a few days already. I felt insulted like I wasn't important enough. But of course, I wasn't. At least for him. I needed to harden my armor so I wouldn't feel taken aback by his mean and hurtful actions and words anymore.

But I knew better than to antagonize him. I needed him to accept me so I could stay here, with Brax.

Now that I can think clearly, I realize that I feel much better. I don't know what happened to me, but I was thankful my stomach was at ease now.

The only bad thing I noticed was this strange layer covering my skin. It only covered my finger when I started o feel ill, but now it reached my shoulder, and it was freaking me out. What was it? Phoenix didn't know and that was alarming. If he didn't know, he, the dragon king, lord of these lands, who must know everything about dragons and whatnots, didn't know what caused the layer to be on my skin; then who will?

Brax wasn't faced with it. Of course, he is a baby, he knows nothing, except that if he poops too far from the water it will splash water on his booty. He didn't like that.

When I tried to peel it off it hurt like a bitch, as if I was tearing off my very own skin. Besides that, it didn't hurt or bother me. It just made my arm feel stiff and my movements weren't as smooth. I guess now I could only wait and see. Hopefully, nothing bad comes from it.

When I noticed Phoenix's intentions to leave the room, I knew this was my chance

When I noticed Phoenix's intentions to leave the room, I knew this was my chance. It was now or never.

"Can I go outside?" I say quickly before I cower.

He stops his tracks toward the door and looks at me over his shoulder with a raised brow, in a silent question.

"You can't really expect me to stay inside all day, every day, right? I mean..." I hesitated, knowing it was best I showed myself submissive, even if I hated it, to get a positive response from the dragon lord. "Would you please allow me to go outside, from time to time, so I can get fresh air?"

I forced myself to hide my hands behind my back so he wouldn't see me playing with them in a nervous manner.

He looks down, as if pondering about the possibility of giving me freedom, then looks up at me.

"I grant you the freedom to venture into the gardens, but someone will be you at all times.."

I huff. "No need to treat me like a prisoner, I won't run or harm anyone," I say, my submissive facade is gone.