47. Pink and Blue Surprises

Phoenix:

"Tell us about your mate," Kurt asked while handling the first hand of cards. 

I drink from my glass slowly, thinking of a way to tell them with as little detail as possible. After all, my relationship with these men so far was business-like and professional. We have known each other for decades now. Being the leader of our realms we often deal with each other. After all, our realms were open to each other, profiting from the new economy and the like. Thus, we worked together to provide a safe environment for our people.

But then I thought... after knowing each other for so long, maybe it was time to further our relationship. Now that Lilly is part of my life, everything has changed, even my way of thinking.

Maybe I got softer, or maybe I want to better my life with new relationships.

"I thought she was the one who kidnapped my egg..." I started and they both stared at me, shocked. I laugh internally, enjoying giving them some suspense. "Of course, what seemed off was that my son was too attached to her and stopped me from killing her."

"So she didn't kidnap your egg..." says Lazarus, lord of vampires, carefully.

I smiled sideways.

"No. She found him in an abandoned building and brought his egg with her and took care of him, thus, Brax thought of her as his mother..." I laugh shaking my head. "And to think I was trying to break their bond so I could get rid of her."

"Woah..!"

"Really?"

"Well, yes. She was human and I didn't trust her." I admit, taking my cards and eyeing the result.

"I supposed you ended up warming up to her" Kurt guessed and I nodded.

"How could I not?" I mocked thinking how she made my life better. "I regret all the time I wasted avoiding her, honestly."

"What changed your opinion?" asked Lazarus.

If I'm being honest, I changed my opinion about Lilly long before I marked her, but for some reason, I was trying to ignore the feelings I have for her... until I could not.

I growl, looking away. I throw the first card trying to speed up the game.

Lazarus and Kurt start laughing and I look up at them annoyed.

"You felt threatened!" teased Kurt, clapping the back of Lazarus while they both laughed.

"So... who was he?" wondered Lazarus. I rolled my eyes.

Was it really that obvious?

"Not important."

They burst into another fit of laughter at my response and I growled, pretending to be annoyed. Well, I was a bit, but realized this was breaking that professional relationship we had with each other.

"So jealousy finally pushed you to mate? Do you regret it?" dared Kurt to ask and his last question has me snarling at him.

"No!"

They both lift their hand in surrender, knowing better than to push my buttons.

I'll never regret mating with Lilly.

It might be partly true that I felt threatened by Cassian, and it pushed me to finally claim Lilly, but not because I wanted to win over him out of jealousy. It was because I was terrified of losing her.

My beast had claimed her almost instantly from her arrival. I grew feeling for her as I got to know her, and the more I spent time with her. I never took the step to claim her because I was... scared. Making her my mate would make her a target, and as a human, she would be vulnerable, unable to defend herself if it came to that. And she wouldn't been able to protect Brax either.