59. Relationships On Trial

Phoenix:

I didn't like the fact that Lilly was dragged into this mess. I never expected to have my brothers coming back, if I was being honest, and now I have to deal with my circus and Lilly was dragged along.

I could feel she felt awkward, not really knowing how to start a conversation, and continued drinking her non alcoholic drink probably wishing she could rely on the effects of alcohol. Honestly, I think we all were.

Tarek and Leif started talking about how the moving here was, and how the kids were adjusting. I would drop a question here and there to keep the conversation going.

From the women, Serena was the only one adding to the conversation, Lilly and Eloise were too shy to say anything. I don't blame them. Lilly didn't know these people, so didn't know what she could talk about with them.

Suddenly, Serena stood up with her hands together, looking at Eloise and Lilly.

"Alright, girls, who want to pull off some dead weed from the tattered building and destroy dead trunks?"

The women looked at each other and shrugged. Anything was better than staying here.

Eloise and Lilly followed Serena outside, and somehow, the atmosphere lightened. We were tense because none of us wanted to mess up even more in front of our mates, but now that they weren't here to witness whatever was happening between us, we could relax.

"Damn, this is awkward as fuck," Leif said, and sighed.

"Yeah, how the fuck do we start?"

I bit my tongue, trying not to get snarky. Since we wouldn't be here if it weren't for them. But I had to remind myself that we were here to rekindle our relationship. We wanted our kids to be around family, and we needed to fix this as adults.

"I guess I should start by saying that I'm glad to see you happy, Phoenix," said Tarek, and he seemed sincere. I nodded, not really knowing how to respond to that.

"WE are," added Leif and we all smiled softly.

"Yeah, well. After we heard that you lost your son's egg, we were devastated on your behalf but were too scared to do anything. But then you brought him back with a human and then... well, you seemed happier. And now you are expecting your second child and... Well, family is the best that happened to us, so we can imagine how you must be feeling."

He smiled sheepishly. I nodded, but then had to stop myself and cocked my head at his words.

"You were aware?" I asked, surprised to hear that they knew what happened in my life.

They both lowered their faces... and they were... blushing? Damn! If things weren't so weird between us, I would tease them about it.

"Yeah, we wanted to keep tabs on you, to know you were doing okay and to keep us connected to... well... family," admitted Leif and I leaned back on my seat, taking in the new information.

I guess, this meant that they really wanted to reconnect, and honestly, it would do good to Lilly to have some help around, and feminine company. Serena and Eloise can teach her the ropes of being a mother, and she can rely on them.

Fine, I made up my mind. I wanted this to work. For my family.

 For my family