44. Flap Those Wings

Phoenix:

My mind was still reeling even after Lilly was done telling me everything that had happened to her. I just... never imagined that turning a human into a dragon shifter was even possible, but it turns out it is which is huge. 

I'd bet the people from my kingdom will be bewildered to find out that their human queen is... no longer a human. They will be confused and will have questions. Maybe this is a start that maybe having a human as a mate isn't that bad.

I must admit that at first, I had my prejudices about Lilly being a human, but once I got to know her... My opinion changed. They will eventually realize that not all humans are bad, as not all dragon shifters are good, though that will be a thick pill to swallow, because we are prideful creatures, and no one wants to believe that their kind can have flaws.

Nevertheless, I am glad that Lilly was found by people who were able to help her, though I still do not agree with those people who like to go against Mother Nature... I was in debt to them, and the least I could do, after they saved my queen, is to let them be.

I must admit they haven't caused any trouble in my kingdom, and as long it continues that way, I won't have a reason to go after them.

"Well, how does it feel to be a dragon?"

After eating. we went back to our room to sleep with Brax, only waking up past lunchtime. We were all exhausted by last night's events. After a late lunch, the three of us ventured beyond the garden in front of the palace and into virgin land at the edge of the palace grounds between two forests.

Lilly takes time to reply, admiring the clouds above us. We were laying on the grass admiring the sky while Brax played around us where the grass was tall enough to cover him completely. It seemed like he was playing hide and seek with himself.

No idea how that worked.

"Honestly? I feel the same but... different... Does that even make sense?" she turned to look at me, and she found me already staring at her, which turned her pale cheeks pink. I loved how I could still get a reaction from her.

"I guess? I admit I don't know what you are going through or what you might be feeling, but I guess, if I were in your position, I would feel weird too" I say truthfully, and she smiles, appreciating my honesty. "Maybe you should shift and get used to your new form so your reality finally sinks in."

She hummed, mulling over my words.

"Yeah, you are right," Lilly says and stands up abruptly, making me stand up as well.

She was actually going to shift now?

She closes her eyes, concentrating. At that moment, Brax jumped out of the tall grass, as if sensing his mother's beast was close to the surface.

"Rwawr!"

His bark seemed to break Lilly's concentration and open her eyes, trying to hide her frustration at the interruption.

"Come here, buddy. We need to give momma space to shift"

I pick him up and take a few steps back. After a few moments, Lilly was able to shift with a roar.

Brax eagerly wiggles in my arms in such a way I'm forced to set him free. He happily runs towards his mom and starts running in between her legs biting here and there just to be an annoying little shit.

Damn it. Lilly's mannerisms were rubbing on me

Lilly growls lifting one leg, too afraid to move in case she ends up stepping on him. Lilly hisses a warning and Brax finally steps away from her underbelly to look up at her like an eager pup. I laugh, enjoying the sight of my family.