17. Dressed To Impress

N/A: guys you are amazing. I have three finished stories and at the begging they all started with like 3-5 votes per chapter but last chapter got 31 votes and it just been up for a week??? THANK YOU REALLY! Your love is what keeps me going. Right now I'm starting to write chapter 26 and enjoying everything I've been writing so far. Keep your love coming!😸🥰

Extra: do you want to see the picture that inspired Phoenix?👀

I pull the hood of the cape over my head and breathe deeply, preparing myself to face the outside world. I knew I couldn't stay inside the carriage forever, I needed a dress for tonight, and even though it was early in the morning, I knew that time could fly fast and finding the perfect dress could be a hassle.

The guard opens the door for me and I swallow before stepping out.

Shifters around me pass beside me without a hitch, some would stare for a second, I guess wearing a cape made you a bit suspicious.

The guard walks me to the store in front of us and holds the door open for me, and I smile up at him as a silent thank you.

The store clerk looks up at us, sniffing the air. Soon he grimaced in distaste. I guess he noticed I wasn't a shifter.

The guard growls behind me as a warning and the man scoffs then signals with his hands for some helpers to attend me.

I felt uncomfortable being in a place where I wasn't wanted and was openly hated, but I needed to remind myself that for them to accept me, the first step was to get these dragon shifters used to my presence.

I was soon taken to a private showroom where they paraded a bunch of gowns. I try the ones I like the most, staring at myself attentively in the mirror, wishing to have someone with me to ask for my opinion.

I was a strange woman. I sought opinions and advice a lot for stuff, such as for life matters or for clothing or what stuff to buy. Though most of the time it was only to back my initial choice. Sometimes I would ask my mom for her opinion, knowing fully well that I'd probably just choose the option she didn't pick. It was strange, but hearing other people's opinions only cemented my choice.

After trying like five gowns, I decided it was time to try in another shop. I apologize for the inconvenience and hurry outside, letting out a breath of relief when I was outside.

I start walking, looking under the hood of the cape at the different stores. I looked at their window display to see if I liked their style, though I knew I couldn't afford to be picky with the limited time I had.

I tried two other shops, making sure to remember the last one in case I didn't have any luck in the next stores, to go for the dress I saw there.

When I passed in front of what seemed to be a bakery, I decided that I could try some of the local sweets, sure that Phoenix wouldn't mind if I spent his money on food.

I get in, the bell ringing when I open the door, making some curious eyes look my way. I decided I had enough hiding so I pulled the hood back, showing my full face. Maybe this way I can find shifters that aren't so hateful and judgmental based on their expressions when they look at me.

"Would you like anything, Jeremiah?" I ask the guard entering right behind me.

"Uh..." he shuffles awkwardly in his place and soon shakes his head. "I'm good, miss. Thank you."

I decided to buy him something either way.

I bend to look at the display, my mouth watering at the sight. I didn't know what were the things there, but looked delicious! It probably feels the same as some foreigners going to Japan and seeing their food.