16. Dining with the King

We are first served soup. It was the perfect amount so one could still eat. I was pleasantly surprised by how delicious the soup tasted. I could only hope that the main dish wasn't something so weird like a snail or... I don't know... fish eyes? 

We finish the soup in silence.  My moves were stiff with my arm covered by that strange layer, but I managed to hold the utensils correctly.

Normally, I didn't complain when I was among people and the conversation fell into silence. I didn't mind sharing a space with someone and not conversing. Even though I wasn't particularly anxious right now eating with the king in silence, I couldn't help but be tense.

I didn't dare to look up to Phoenix and see if he was as uncomfortable as I was. I followed his lead and ate the food and drink from the wine that had a pleasant aftertaste.

Once we finished the soup, the servants brought a plate filled with salad and ate the green leaves and what came with it. The main dish was served soon, but I honestly didn't know what it was. There was what looked to be a large serving of mashed potato, but it was of a darker color and was mixed with some oranges, red and green. To the side were small brown balls and next to them was a small bowl with some sauce in it.

I look up at Phoenix to see what he does. He catches me staring at him with expectation and I notice the corners of his lips quivering as if he's trying not to smile.

"The dish is called Buckalla alla Petta, It's very well known around this region of my Kindom. Is simple, but very delicious. The sauce is made with items from the sea, specifically from the shore, where the sea meets the earth. You pour it all over the food and enhance the flavors" he explains doing exactly that.

He takes the small bowl/plate, lets the sauce drop all over the food, and starts eating. He nods in confirmation.

I do the same, pouring equally everywhere, and then get some of the mix with one meatball and bring it to my mouth. Once the taste settles I moan, surprised at the flavor that assaults my senses.

I was never someone dedicated much to culinary art. I could eat the same food and never complain about it. Food was food, I wasn't the wiser when it comes to flavors and condiments. Now I wonder how much I missed being so neglectful with my food.

"Good, eh?" Phoenix wonders with an amused face.

I turn red by my obvious and over-the-top reaction. But I couldn't hold myself. This was really good. I couldn't really place the flavors, either if it was meat or not, but I didn't care. I just kept eating.

"This is amazing," I say pointing at my half-eaten plate.

Phoenix let out a belly laugh, which unconsciously made me smile, and when I noticed I was smiling I pressed my lips tightly together, trying hard to stop the smile so that he wouldn't notice.

"I know," he says with arrogance, a King proud of his lands and culture and people. We stare at each other for a moment until he clears his throat. "I invited you over because I wanted to thank you" he started after the silence fell between us. I tilt my head, confused. "I went over to your apartment. You told me you kept Brax's eggshell so I went looking for it and found it in your freezer. It was well preserved and..." he stops to clear his throat again. "It means a lot, so, thank you"

I smile at him, appreciative of his words.

"I'm glad the shell was intact. I wasn't really sure if it was going to work, but I'm glad it did"

We share a moment among us, the silence settling comfortably between us. I smiled at him and broke eye contact to grab the glass, not really knowing what else to do, until I remembered the party.