31. Cockblocker

Phoenix:

I lay awake with my mate sleeping on top of me.

My mate. 

Damn. How did that come to be?

I couldn't help but smile. I have a mate. I marked someone to be mine for the rest of my life, my soul now bound forever to Lilly's, how crazy is that?

Honestly, I started my day not even imagining that I would end up mated at the end of the day. And this was permanent, something for the rest of my life, and I was happy with it. Lilly was mine now, and I would be damned if I let anything happen to her. She was my Queen now, and the mother of my son, and my future children. I didn't care if she was human anymore, I just couldn't let her walk away.

I caress her back, noticing the rough layer that has now covered almost her whole body.

A bad feeling settled in my stomach at what was happening to her. What if it was something that would harm her in the end? What was going to happen once it covered her completely? Could it be stopped?

I was neglectful. I should have called in a healer the moment it started, but I remember I wasn't particularly fond of her when it did.

I almost laugh at myself. How could have I ever hated her? I was so fucking stupid. So much time together wasted. But now I have learned from my mistakes, and I will cherish and love her until the end of our days.

I kiss the top of her head, unable to control myself. She just felt right in my arms, like two puzzle pieces that have finally found each other. We fitted perfectly together, our bodies made to be connected.

Now I have to send a request to my blacksmith for her crown to be made and to add a throne next to mine, and a chair worthy of a queen for the dining tables. I will also have to make the announcement and plan a celebration.

Damn, I realize there's a lot to do now that I have found a mate. I only hoped Lilly was okay with the proceedings. Having a queen was nothing minor. I've been an unmated King for decades now, and people have been wondering when I would get the Kingdom a Queen for a long time. Now the time has come and everyone will react to it, for good or for worse, it was going to be a huge ordeal.

We'll also need to have a mating ceremony, well, if Lilly wants one. She seemed the kind of person that enjoyed romance. I knew humans have weddings to unite the couple and celebrate their love, so maybe Lilly wanted something like that, considering she grew up with those beliefs, the same way I grew up with my traditions and beliefs.

I wanted to compensate her for the sacrifices she will have to make now that we are mated. She was giving up her old life, leaving behind her friends and family, though if she asked me to take her to visit her loved ones, I would have complied. After all, would be the least I could do for her.

I needed to remember to ask her how she felt about her new life. From a normal human she became a mother, and now she was mated to me, the dragon king, and was carrying my mark, which I knew was new for her, but she didn't seem to care and happily let me mark her.

I will make sure she is happy here, in her new life she is starting with me. Lilly is my queen, my mate, and the only one for me. And now, officially the mother of my... our child.

 our child