49. In Danger

The ride is silent and I appreciate it. 

When the carriage stops in front of the bakery, I'm not mad anymore, it just hurts to realize my mate doesn't trust me completely.

Jeremiah opens the door for me and closes it behind me, waiting for me outside, guarding the entrance.

The people inside turn to look at me and instantly, the people making line step aside to allow me to go first, bowing. I felt bad for being irritated by the gesture.

I plaster a fake smile on my face. I really didn't want to get special treatment.

"Oh, please everyone, I don't mind waiting," I say waving my hands, in an attempt to appear relaxed.

"We insist, Your Majesty," the man in front of me says, bowing slightly, making a gesture with his hand, inviting me to move forward.

I hesitated, not liking all the attention I had caught.

"A queen should never wait!" A lady insisted and I caved, feeling pressured.

I smile at everyone and I am quick at placing my order. "And I'll buy everyone a biscuit," I add, pulling out my bag with coins.

"No, Your Majesty. Is on the house!" says the man attending me, but this time, I shake my head, refusing to cave in this one.

"Not a chance!" I say giving him thirty silver coins and five gold coins, figuring it might be easier for him to manage the silver ones.

I, as the queen, should be the one paying and not accepting free stuff, because as the queen, I can afford it. I don't need free stuff, and I was happy to help out.

"Keep the change," I say moving aside to wait for my order.

The people in the shop thank me and a staff member comes out with a tray filled with biscuits to pass around. Seeing the people getting happy by getting a free biscuit makes me smile.

"Here you go, Your Majesty," says the man, personally handing me the bag with my goodies. He leans in. "There's something extra for the baby," he adds and winks at me.

I blushed at his words and thanked him. I completely forgot everyone could tell I was pregnant... Everyone now knows I've been having sex with the king to the point he knocked me up...

Fuck, how mortifying!

"Your majesty?"

I turned around when someone called me and I was met with a woman with dark brown hair and equally dark eyes. She was like an inch shorter than me with tan skin.

I sniffed the hair and frowned when I caught her scent. I'd never seen this woman before, yet her scent wasn't completely strange to me but neither familiar. It made no sense at all.

"Mmm... Hello." I said awkwardly.

She smiled, and for some reason, it creeped me out.

"I would like if you'd come with me," she says as if that was the most normal thing to say to a stranger.

"Uh... Who are you... again?"

"That's not of importance, right now," she waved her hand, as if it didn't matter.

I raised a brow at her.

"Right... I'm leaving now..."

I take a step aside intending to surround her, but she quickly grabs my arm with a strong grip, stopping me. Her behavior sends alarm bells in my head.

She leans in, whispering in my ear.

"I have the young prince," she says and my whole body froze. "If you don't want any harm to come to him, I suggest you come with me willingly."