Chapter 423: The Villagers' Discussion

Old Master Gong came to his senses and asked, "How much is the betrothal gift around the village?"

Father Xiao replied, "Normally, in our village, the betrothal gift would be around 36,000. Then, the bride's family will send some dowries over."

"36... 36,000!" Old Master Gong didn't expect the betrothal gift at the village to be so low. 36,000? What could even someone buy with such a small amount of money? It wasn't even enough to buy a sofa, let alone anything else. Gong Tianhao frowned and said disapprovingly, "Uncle, 36,000 is too low. How about 36 million?!"

The Xiao family was shocked when they heard 36 million. That was ridiculously high. A villager couldn't earn 36 million even if he worked tirelessly for multiple lifetimes. Father Xiao shook his head and said, "36 million is too high."

Gong Tianhao thought for a moment and said, "Then 3,600,000 RMB."

Father Xiao was about to reject it when Gong Tianhao immediately said, "Uncle, don't reject it yet. Listen to me."

Father Xiao and the rest nodded.

"Uncle, Auntie, I know that you all love Yu 'Er and will feel awkward taking a high betrothal gift, for it'd feel like you've sold her off. However, that is not the case. On the contrary, I think that the higher the betrothal gift, the more respect I'd show to the Xiao Family.

"Everyone in the village knows that Gong Family is rich. They'll be curious about the betrothal gift.

"If it is only 36,000, many villagers will think that the Gong Family is not sincere enough. We don't value Yu 'Er and her family. They might even say that Yu 'Er is forced to marry me, and that's why the betrothal gift is so little. Think about it."

When the Xiao family heard this, they thought for a moment and realized that Gong Tianhao was right.

"But still... 3.6 million is still too high." Father Xiao said, "That is much higher than the betrothal gift we've seen in our village before."

When Gong Tianhao heard this, he said helplessly, "Uncle, how about this? Let's treat this 3.6 million as capital for Yu 'Er to expand her business."

He had never expected the Xiao family to be so uninterested in money.

Every bride's family wanted to suck the groom's family dry, but the Xiao Family had rejected him repeatedly.

Now, he understood why the Xiao family was so united and loving.

Because they were not greedy people and only had family ties in their hearts.

After settling the marriage with the Xiao family and deciding on the date, Old Master Gong was in high spirits. He greeted the villagers when he saw them, "Aiya, fellow villagers, you have to come to my grandson and Yu 'Er's wedding banquet."

The villagers replied, "Alright, Old Master, we will definitely be there."

Then, the villagers turned around and started discussing. "I didn't expect Young Master Gong to marry Xiao Lingyu so quickly."

"Yeah, who would have thought that Xiao Lingyu's child would be Young Master Gong's. This is really too surprising. In the past, we always thought that Xiao Lingyu's child was a bastard child."

"But we heard that the child was Young Master Gong's from the Gong and Xiao Families. It might not be the truth. Perhaps this is their way to give the child a status."

"That's possible. Young Master Gong might like Xiao Lingyu that much to take the bastard child as his own."

"In any case, Xiao Lingyu is really lucky. After that incident with the Chen Kid, she managed to find a better man, someone who doesn't even mind her past."