Chapter 13

When we are back in Eterna City, we notice the TV showing Lucian battling Cynthia. Lucian's Bronzong uses its Flash Cannon on Garchomp. Garchomp comes out unscathed by blocking the attack with her fin. Garchomp follows up with Giga Impact, knocking out Lucian's Bronzong and defending Cynthia's Champion title.

The battle is really awesome, and that's when we hear from the others that Cynthia is near the statue of the Almighty One. We decide to rush there and greet her since it has been a while.

When we get there, we find her checking out the statue while having an ice cream? But much to our surprise, Paul is also there.

"It's Paul..." We are surprised that Paul wants to challenge Cynthia to a battle. "It's been a while since I have a real challenge, are you competing in the Sinnoh League now?"

"That's right." Paul says.

"I see... Then I'm assuming that you transferred here from another League. Fine then, I accept your challenge."

"Do you mind if we battle with six Pokemon each?" Paul asks.

"No problem." When everyone is murmuring about how suicidial Paul is, I just want to see how strong they can get.

Cynthia calls out her Garchomp, while Paul chooses Chimchar; a choice that surprises Cynthia, as well as the crowd, due to its disadvantage as a Fire-type. Paul commands Chimchar to use Fire Spin and then Dig. Once hit with Fire Spin, Garchomp also uses Dig under Cynthia's command. Garchomp strikes her opponent underground, knocking Chimchar out. As Paul recalls it, he scolds it for its loss, which doesn't sit too well with either Cynthia or the group.

Paul then uses Weavile, a much better type matchup. He orders a Blizzard attack, and despite being a super-effective hit, it does not faze Garchomp at all. Garchomp then uses Dragon Rush, which causes Weavile to freeze instead of trying to dodge. Paul tells Weavile to use Ice Beam. However, Garchomp dodges the attack twice and slams itself into Weavile, knocking it out cold. Paul then sends out Murkrow. Immediately, he tells Murkrow to use Haze, which Garchomp dodges. Murkrow flies behind Garchomp and Paul tells it to use Sky Attack. Cynthia has Garchomp counter with Giga Impact. After returning his fallen Murkrow, Paul smirks to himself, leaving everyone confused as he has lost half of his team in short order.

Paul calls out his Torterra and starts things off with a Giga Drain. Since Giga Impact left Garchomp unable to move, Giga Drain hits its mark and manages to weaken Garchomp. Torterra follows up with Frenzy Plant, though Garchomp blocks the attack with her fins, much to Paul's astonishment. Cynthia then tells Garchomp to use Brick Break. Garchomp pushes the Frenzy Plant vines away and jumps into the air, hitting Torterra with Brick Break on its head, taking it down and out.

"What can you say? She's the Champion after all." I sigh after seeing how many Pokemon he's lost. Paul says, "I guess that's it."

"Guess so, nice Garchomp. Great battle." Then both recall Pokemon, and some of the people are booing Paul. "Hey! Cut it out, you guys!" I say, as the others are muttering my appearance. "I'll tell you, Paul. It's great."

"Well, I'll work on it and try again." Paul says before leaving, but he doesn't seem go be going to the Pokemon Center. Cynthia says, "Paul, hold it. Bringing injured Pokemon to the Pokemon Center is a trainer's first responsibility, you know."

Then as they get to the Pokemon Center, we finally have the talk with Cynthia." It is nice to see you six as well. I see you're traveling together?"

"Yes, Lillie and I are challenging the gyms while Dawn and I are doing Contests." I say. "Although I want to battle you, but considering the situation now..."

"Indeed. We have an urgent situation over here. I think I'll have to treat the Pokemomn by myself." Cynthia says.

"Then I'll help you as well." Tox says, and she nods, "Good, Professor Berlitz's son might help out as well."