Chapter 31

Since we learn that the next Contest is going to be held in Chocovine Town, we decide to do some training, and Dawn is having some problems with Piloswine, who only wants to eat Poffins instead. So I decide to have my own Piloswine help out, it learns Ancient Power that stops him from rampaging after the Poffins are gone, and my Piloswine evolves first into Mamoswine.

Mamoswine: The Twin Tusk Pokemon: Ice and Ground Type. Evolve from Piloswine by leveling up learning Ancient Power. Its impressive tusks are made of ice. The population thinned when it turned warm after the ice age.

Because of some problems, Team Rocket tries to do another scheme to steal Piloswine, but Dawn's Piloswine also learns Ancient Power and evolves, even though it sends Team Rocket flying, it still has trouble listening to Dawn's commands.

The gym leader Byron has returned, so the six of us come and we learn that Byron is arguing with his son Roark. We decide to talk to Roark, and he says, "The real reason why I come all the way here is to ask him to make it back home for his and my mom's anniversary."

"So your father's from Oreburgh City, then?" Gladion asks.

"He is, originally he was the gym leader there, that was right around the time I was assigned the operation and the Oreburgh Mine..."

Then he reveals Byron leaves Oreburgh for Canalave City since the Pokémon League asked him to take over the Gym there. He also states that Iron Island will be a good place for him to find more Fossils. He leaves Roark in charge of the Oreburgh Gym where he was formerly the Gym Leader. He also leaves his wife behind in his move.

"I know Iron Island has a lot of fossils, but is that the training it's all about?"

"I'm sorry to have you wait like this, but I don't want my Dad outfossiling me." Roark says.

Then we decide to watch Roark and Byron battle. Roark starts the fight by having Rampardos repeatedly using Zen Headbutt, while Byron instructs Bastiodon to counter with Iron Defense. Ash notes how powerful Zen Headbutt looks, and Brock replies that he thinks Byron actually has the upper hand. Byron instructs his Bastiodon to use Flamethrower, which Rampardos dodges.

Roark has Rampardos use Head Smash, which Byron combats with Iron Head. Roark then has his Rampardos use Flamethrower and Byron counters with Flash Cannon. After the collision, Bastiodon seems to have the upper hand.

However, Team Rocket comes and tries to steal the Fossils, so we decide to work together to attack the mecha. And it is also then that our Cranidos and Shieldon evolve in the same time and send them all flying.

Rampardos: The Head Butt Pokemon: Rock Type. Evolve from Cranidos at LV:30. Its powerful headbutt has enough power to shatter even the most durable things upon impact.

Bastiodon: The Shield Pokemon: Rock and Steel Type. Evolve from Shieldon at LV:30. Any frontal attack is repulsed. It is a docile Pokémon that feeds on grass and berries.

The Fossils were also launched but not as far and as they fall back down near the group Roark and Byron are both worried about the safety of the Fossils. After they have landed the pair goes to make sure they are safe.

Byron then shows Roark his most prized Fossil, a Fossil of a Sunkern leaf. Byron and Roark make amends, and then we can finally get our Gym battle.

Back to the start, we meet the Gym Guide and he says, "Hey, there! Champ-to-be! The Gym Leader here uses Steel-type Pokémon. Steel-type Pokémon have high Defense, so you'd have to hit them hard!"

The first Gym trainer is a Black Belt named Ricky. He says, "Steel represents an unbending spirit! If you never give up, the path to victory reveals itself!"