Chapter 17

We meet up with Barry before we're leaving Hearthome City, and he says, "Ta-daah! Kept me waiting again, guys! Let's see how much tougher you and I have gotten, right here and now!"

"Seriously?" We are not surprised as he says, "Hey, you're trainers! You're expected to be ready for a battle. No whining! No waiting! Let's get the show started!"

Then we have a battle and it seems that Barry also has a Buizel and a Roselia of his own, not to mention his Chimchar also evolves into a Monferno. But they are still no match for me as I defeat him.

"Waaaagh! You KO'd my team again?! This messes up my dream of becoming the greatest Trainer ever... No! I just need to get tougher and keep winning. One day... That's it! I'm going to challenge the Veilstone Gym next! See you around, guys! You'll be blown away by how much tougher I'll be next time we meet!"

After he leaves, we find a fisherman and he says, "Hmm! A Good Rod is really good! Wouldn't you agree?"

"Of course?" We say. And Dawn receives her Good Rod, much to her delight.

Lunchtime has come as we have our Pokemon out for help along with the others. At the same time, Chimchar is watching the scene and he is surprised to see everyone in a happy mood helping out each other. Not only that, he also sees how we're sparing with Buizel and Pikachu when we are training and he remembers all the difference between Paul and our training.

I turn to Chimchar and ask, "Chimchar, so how about a little battle with you?"

Chimchar blinks and then Piplup arrives wanting to battle. Dawn says, "Well Piplup's ready to go."

"Yeah. So let's work together." I say as we have a battle. Despite putting up a tough fight against Piplup, Chimchar loses the battle, causing it to be reminded of losing in the Tag Battle Tournament and being cruelly released by Paul.

"Chimchar, what's wrong?" I think Chimchar is afraid that I'm going to say something harsh to him. I know this and I say, "That was awesome Chimchar, you're really strong, you know."

Lillie says, "You almost beat the opponent that's tougher than you. And you did a great variation in your moves. And it's amazing to watch."

"You look wonderful, your Flamethrower rocks." Dawn adds, and all the Pokemon agree with Chimchar. Chimchar is left very nervous and confused, and starts crying since it cannot handle its drastic change in environment.

"Huh? What's wrong? Everyone thinks you're great..." I hug the chimp Pokemon, knowing that he has to let it all out because he couldn't show any emotion with Paul.

The next morning, I decide to have Chimchar help me get the water, but when we get back, we find Team Rocket's balloon, and Team Rocket is trapped in their own cage because of three Zangoose?"

Chimchar is scared because of the Zangoose, and I say, "Chimchar, I know how weird and scary that time it is for you way back then. But they're in trouble and you're the only one who can save them."

Chimchar looks at me and I say, "I know you can."

Chimchar looks at everyone who is begging for him to help, and with the encouragement, Chimchar is motivated and starts to glow. "It's evolving..." Lillie says.

I guess all those harsh training with Paul finally make this one evolve, and now it is a Monferno.

Monferno: The Playful Pokemon: Fire and Fighting Type. Evolve from Chimchar at LV:14. To intimidate attackers, it stretches the fire on its tail to make itself appear bigger.

And with the new move Mach Punch, the Sevipers are easily defeated. With the Zangoose defeated, Team Rocket open the container from the inside and try to escape, but we command Pikachu to use Thunderbolt, Monferno to use Flamethrower, Togetic to use Moonblast, Piplup to use Bubble Beam, and Buneary to use Ice Beam to attack Team Rocket, sending them blasting off. And now Monferno is cheering with the other Pokemon.