Chapter 34

When we arrive at the town named Squallville. We notice a Yanmega and a Wingull racing for a ring in the sky, I say, "Wow, it is the PokeRinger."

"What's PokeRinger?" Dawn asks.

"I participated in one back in the Hoenn Region, and that's when my Taillow evolved into Swellow." I say.

Then I explain the PokeRinger competition. Yanmega gets the ring first, dodges the Wingull, and places it on the goal, winning the match. Yanmega's Trainer is actually James as he snubs his practice partner before walking away. We meet up with James, which spooks him at first, but James maintains his disguise and tells us about the upcoming PokéRinger competition.

"I want to partake...but I don't have any Flying Type Pokemon..." Dawn frowns.

"The same here...the only ones with the Flying Type Pokemon are Ash's and Lillie's Pokemon." Gladion says.

"Then I want to take part it." Lillie says. "Can I use Staravia for this one?"

"Sure." I say.

Fireworks start as the competition prepares to get underway, we are amazed at the size of the crowd. Gladion says, "It seems like the winner is made an honorary citizen of the town."

"And the second prize is the large amount of Pokemon food." I say, noticing how much it can feed their Pokemon.

The first match starts with Lillie against Taylor. The others watch from the stands as the ring balloon is deployed, as well as Lillie and Taylor's balloons to the set elevation. The round starts as Lillie sends out Staravia while Taylor summons Skarmory. Both race to the ring as Staravia gets it first, racing to the goal. Skarmory fires Swift, which hits and causes Staravia to drop the ring. Skarmory steals it and goes for the goal as Staravia tries to catch up. Skarmory turns around and executes a Fury Attack. Staravia dodges continually, eventually causing Skarmory to drop the ring, allowing Staravia to steal and bolt. Skarmory gets ahead and uses Sand-Attack to blind Staravia before launching Air Cutter. Staravia is unable to dodge, but a wind gust pushes him out of the way. Staravia recovers as another Air Cutter heads toward it. Staravia gets closer before using Aerial Ace to dodge and race to the goal, planting the ring and giving Lillie the first win.

"Nice job, Staravia." Lillie congratulates him, he nods back in agreement.

The second match reveals the four-time defending champion Provo. His opponent surprises everyone as Paul's name is announced.

"It's Paul." We all flinch as we see him walking past us. Lillie says, "I didn't know you're in the competition."

"Yeah, so what if I am?" Paul asks.

"You could at least say hi." I say. "Look, the next time we battle I'm not going to lose."

The round starts as Paul deploys Honchkrow while Provo calls on Dragonite. Honchkrow goes first as Dragonite fires Dragon Pulse. Honchkrow dodges and gets the ring as Dragonite turns and uses Fire Punch, missing. Dragonite hits with Dragon Rush, causing Honchkrow to drop the ring into free fall. Both race for the ring, Honchkrow getting it first and racing to the goal. Dragonite attempts another Dragon Rush as a wind gust kicks up. Paul has Honchkrow ride the wind and land a Sky Attack, which knocks out Dragonite thanks to Honchkrow's Super Luck Ability. Paul wins that round with only one strike, which makes Lillie slightly uneasy.

Steveland's Skiploom fights against James's Yanmega. The round starts, but neither makes a move at first, waiting for the wind to kick in. James predicts a wind from above, but instead, it comes from below and confuses Yanmega. Skiploom rides it and grabs the ring, heading for the goal. James then predicts an upward current and tries to have Yanmega ride the wind, but his bad judgment takes its toll as a downward current makes Yanmega plummet toward the ground. This helps Skiploom easily win the match for Steveland.