Chapter 49

After a series of battles, I also manage to get into the quarter-finals, and right now I'm training with Lillie as Bastiodon is battling against Infernape with Lillie commanding it. Lillie says, "Infernape, use Flame Wheel." Infernape uses the attack and then Bastiodon blocks the attack. Lillie orders Infernape to use Flame Wheel again, but this Flame Wheel is larger than usual as it gives Bastiodon a lot of damage.

"Wow, that is not a Flame Wheel, that's Flare Blitz!" I say in awe, "Though we need to be careful since it will deal recoil damage."

Barry asks, "So Ash, are you and Lillie training for a match against Paul?"

Ash says, "I don't know if my next opponent is Paul, right now I want to help Lillie train for the match against Conway first."

Verity says, "Then are you going to use Infernape to battle? Lillie?"

"I don't know." Lillie says.

The battle between Lillie and Conway finally starts and will be taking place on a grass battlefield. It will be a three-on-three Pokémon battle. Conway chooses Shuckle as his first Pokémon. Meanwhile, Lillie chooses Honchkrow.

"A Honchkrow, it is an interesting matchup." Tox says.

"Why isn't Lillie planning to use Infernape now?" Mark asks.

"I think she wants to use speed to shake things up." I say.

Conway starts the battle off by having Shuckle withdraw into its shell. Lillie tells Honchkrow to use Sky Attack, hoping that it would be enough to break through Shuckle's defense. While Honchkrow is swooping down for the kill, Conway tells Shuckle to use Withdraw two more times in order to increase its defense. In the end, Shuckle's defense is too much for Honchkrow, and Honchkrow is sent flying back.

"Come on, what do you expect from a powerful defense?" Conway says. Shuckle then uses Power Trick to switch its Attack and Defense stats. I say, "Oh no... now the attack stat is getting higher..."

Honchkrow then uses Air Slash and Shuckle counters with Gyro Ball, which is able to break through the Air Slash and hit Honchkrow. Honchkrow falls to the ground and, having received critical damage, Lillie recalls it.

Lillie then sends out Mamoswine. Shuckle uses Sludge Bomb but Mamoswine counters with Ancient Power, rendering Sludge Bomb useless. Conway then tells Shuckle to use Gyro Ball again. Gyro Ball hits and causes Mamoswine to step back. As a result, Lillie recalls Mamoswine.

"Though Mamoswine's attack is only half as effective if it ever gets deflected..." My Dad says, "I wonder if she is going for a strategy change..."

For Lillie's third Pokémon, she sends out Gabite. I say, "Gabite... it is going to be a problem..."

"I thought you would have evolved Gabite already." Barry says.

"Well, I think it's level is getting close..." I say.

Conway has Shuckle use Gyro Ball. Lillie uses Gabite's habit of biting things to her advantage, and it manages to catch Shuckle in its mouth.

"Use Sludge Bomb." Conway says and it hits the attack inside of Gabite's mouth, Lillie says, "Quickly, split it out."

But Gabite has other things in mind and it prepares a Draco Meteor. Shuckle is heaved into the air with Draco Meteor. Shuckle crashes to the ground and is rendered unconscious.

"It worked! The Draco Meteor finally worked!" Dawn says.

"Shuckle's part in this battle is not in vain, now I know what three Pokemon you are using." Conway says.

For his second Pokémon, Conway sends out Lickilicky. Lillie tells Gabite to use Dragon Pulse but Lickilicky uses Lick before Dragon Pulse has the chance to be fired. Gabite is treated to a thorough licking while the audience shivers at this disturbing sight. Lillie tells Gabite to escape by using Dig while Lickilicky counters with Power Whip. Power Whip's power reverberates across the battlefield and Gabite is thrown into the air. Before Conway can call any more attacks, Lillie recalls Gabite and sends out Honchkrow once more.