Chapter 20

That night, I try to cheer Grotle up and say, "Grotle, in case you didn't know, I think it's cool that you evolved during our battle. It's just like nothing can keep us from winning, you know. Sorry, I didn't call you to attack because I should've. But your power is way up, and once your speed is up, you're going to be powerful."

But Grotle still feels down. And that night, just when we're about to sleep, the other Pokemon wake us up and I ask, "What's wrong, you guys?"

Then we notice that the only ones in the room are Staravia and Piplup, the others are gone and they say that Grotle just runs off. When we rush outside, we notice Paul's Torterra, who he left on the ranch for now.

When we see Rhydon going for a Hammer Arm, Torterra just absorbs the attack with ease. "Torterra can dodge this, but it doesn't want to?" Lillie asks. "It's choosing to stand there and take it!"

"But what for?" Gladion asks.

Then we see that Rhydon's attacks don't work until Torterra stands on its hind legs and comes down, pinning Rhydon to the ground before using Frenzy Plant. Being four times weak as Grass, Rhydon is prepared to face the attack, but Torterra stops the attack and the tree roots withdraw.

"I think Torterra is waiting for a moment to attack..." Daniel says.

"And also like a heavy weight boxer..." Tox adds.

We rush to the other Pokemon, and I say, "I saw the whole thing, and thank you, Torterra. You're trying to give Grotle some serious pointers on how to battle, isn't that right?"

He nods, and I say, "So you're saying that Grotle has to take the attacks and until the right time counters it."

Grotle nods with understanding before Torterra leaves, heading back to the ranch with the other Pokemon. Then we're going to help Grotle with his new battle style.

The next day, we arrive at the Veilstone City Gym, and we also notice that Lucas is also there. Dawn asks, "Lucas? What are you doing here?"

"Hey! Guys, Dawn, I heard everything from Mom, are you fine?" Lucas asks.

"Don't worry. Dawn did challenge the Veilstone Gym yesterday just to cheer the gym leader up. And I think she's feeling better." Tox says.

"Wow, you just keep getting tougher and tougher. Me? Well, I took a look in the Game Corner and... I mean, yeah, of course, I've been working on my Pokédex, but... Anyway, keep it up! I'll see you around!"

As he leaves, Dawn sighs, "Why I'm not surprised, Lucas really likes the Game Corner..."

"We can also check out that place, but first, we have a gym to go." I say.

As we enter the gym, we notice a lot of doors and sandboxes, and the gym guide says, "Hey, there! How's it going, Champ-to-be? The Gym Leader is a user of Fighting-type Pokémon. She'd be a terror against Normal-type Pokémon. But! And it's a big but! Just between you and me... Maylene, the Gym Leader, said Flying-, Psychic-, and Fairy-type Pokémon could be real trouble for her! If you want to battle her, smack the punching bags along the rails. You have to hit those bags hard!"

We go to the left column and fight the Black Belt Darren first. He says, "We're the Karate Quads! I will strike a blow for courage with my fist! Hiyah, couraaaaaaaaaage!"

He uses two Machoke and a Machop, so I use Espeon to win the match with the Psychic moves. "I couldn't force my way to victory..."

Since we can't move the door, we have to go back and head to the second trainer in the middle column. The Black Belt named Jeffery says, "I will strike a blow for tears with my fist! Hiayh, teeeeeeeaaaaars!"