Chapter 40 - Shlatt Socialising

An hour and half had passed and Dream had finally finished his book. It helped, he'd calmed down from the whole situation. He still had his gut turned upside down, but that's what you get when you throw up multiple times.

He didn't know what time it was, he looked at his phone screen and saw it was 11pm. Puffy and Tubbo would both be in bed and asleep. Foolish would be in his room studying or doing homework. Shlatt would most likely be downstairs enjoying some alone time.

Dream knew Shlatt would have been filled in on everything, but Shlatt was the only person he was willing to communicate to for a while. He hadn't pushed Dream into a corner to relive the worst part of his life. With a deep breath he stood up and opened the door.

If Shlatt started interrogating him he could use the excuse of getting the next Percy Jackson book.

With that thought, he head out his door quietly and tiptoed down the stairs.

He got to the bottom and started looking around for Shlatt. He didn't know what he wanted, but he wanted to socialise with somebody without being mentally stabbed.

He found him in the kitchen, attempting to make cookies?? Or was it biscuits??

Either way Dream was most likely going to have to help.

"Ummm, Shlatt what are you doing?" Dream asked clearing his throat. Shlatt ended up jumping from the sudden voice.

"My God- Dream you scared the life out of me for a moment there!" Shlatt exasperated.

"I wasn't trying too, but I do seem to be very good at doing it" Dream commented sitting at the stool under the kitchen island.

"Why are you still up?, I would have thought you'd gone to sleep" Shlatt continued holding his heart slightly.

"I'm never asleep at 11, I'm usually practising coding, however I've been rather attached to reading recently" Dream replied showing Shlatt his book.

"Fair enough, what you doing down here then?" Shlatt asked.

"I Finished my book so I had to get the next one, and I wanted to just socialise with somebody who wouldn't analyse my every move" Dream responded putting his head on one of his hands.

"That's all good with me, what you wanna talk about?" Shlatt asked going back to whatever he was doing.

"Well first I'd love to know, what an earth your trying to make?" Dream laughed out.

"Well I was attempting to make cookies for you, but I think I went wrong somewhere" Shlatt explained laughing at himself.

"Did you add the egg?" Dream asked, noticing it looked extremely dry.

"There's an egg!" Shlatt questioned looking over to Dream.

Dream just rolled his eyes and went to the fridge to grab an egg. He gave it to Shlatt explaining what the egg does. "The egg is the binding agent, it helps for it into a dough and prevents any crumbling"

"Right-" Shlatt replied, "how did you know that?".

"I have weird fixations, I accidentally made some banana muffins a couple of weeks ago and forgot the egg. I ended up googling if they would be ruined. But due to the mushed banana in it, it was all good. I ended up reading up what the egg is responsible for in baking" Dream shrugged, blabbing without realising it.

"Well searched" Shlatt laughed, cracking the egg into the dough and mixing it in. Dream went to the pantry to grab out 2, 100g bags of chocolate chips.

"Imma need to get some more choc chips soon" Dream observed before closing the pantry and throwing the chocolate next to Shlatt's bowl.

"I can grab some for you tomorrow if you like?" Shlatt offered.

"Nahh don't worry about it, I'll somehow get a detention, I'll pick some up on the way home" Dream groaned taking his seat again on the stool.

"You should try staying out of trouble" Shlatt jokily suggested.

"Y'know Phil told me that today too!" Dream exasperated, "I don't try to be in any, today's was mostly me defending Tubbo!".

"I know Dream, it's almost like your a trouble magnet" Shlatt observed.

"Not my fault" Dream gouched.

"I know. You feeling alright, you missed dinner, you want anything?" Shlatt asked opening the chocolate chips and pouring them into the dough.

"Realistically I should eat something" Dream muttered going over to the fridge to grab some leftovers. He grabbed some cottage pie from a couple days ago and flung it into the microwave and set a 5 minute timer.

"You alright, Foolish said you sounded like you were going to cry" Shlatt asked sticking his tongue out really putting the effort in to mix in the chocolate evenly.

"I'm fine, I was extremely overwhelmed and I needed space" Dream replied.

"I did tell them that, they wanted me to go up and speak to you, I figured you'd need space" Shlatt replied jumping up and down when he finally finished the cookie dough.

"Thank you... you seem to be the only one who get it" Dream responded.

"If it make you feel any better" Shlatt started pulling out a non stick baking tray and loading it with cookie dough, "They won't bring it up to you, Phil made the comment about you being the same Dream you have been for 2 years, so why should they look at you any differently now that they know what you went through".

"How are you so calm about it all?... everyone started crying and scolding me... you seem to just leave me be and let me come round in my own time" Dream asked.

"Because I know how easily overwhelmed you get, I know you can handle yourself. I also know that if I give you the freedom you want, if I ever step in and get involved, you will actually listen to me" Shlatt explained placing the cookies in the over for 8 minutes.

Dream just nodded.

[973 Words Total]