Chapter 41 - Foolish taking the hint

"How are they?" Shlatt asked while watching Dream eat one of his cookies.

"Better than I was expecting," Dream replied truthfully.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment instead of a slight insult," Shlatt mumbled, cleaning up his mess.

The 2 had been talking for about half an hour. It was refreshing to Dream, a pleasant conversation in his home rather than a full blown interrogation. Unbeknownst to Dream and Shlatt, Foolish had walked into the kitchen.

"What are you two doing at midnight?" Foolish asked, sleepiness evident in his voice.

Dream immediately went cold, he wasn't ready to face the people who pushed him to throw up earlier.

"I'm making cookies, and Dream came down to get a book, but decided to give me some company" Shlatt replied, "want one?".

"I- no thank you... I will not get to sleep if I have sugar now..." Foolish answered, his gaze following to the back of Dreams head.

"Dream how come you're not asleep?" Foolish asked, big brother mode activating.

"Wasn't tired" Dream answered bluntly, not batting an eyelid Foolish's way. He only looked over when he saw the glare Shlatt was sending his way, his eyes perfectly read, 'he's your brother whether you like it or not'.

"How?" Foolish asked, sitting on the bottom step closing his eyes slightly.

"Haven't you gotten enough out of me for one week?'' Dream snarled, getting a slap round the back of the head from Shlatt.

Shlatt decided to sit in the living room and let them sort things out in their own time.

"Please Dream I'm trying" Foolish begged looking into Dream's green eyes.

"Well it doesn't matter..." Dream replied, looking away from Foolish and picking at his nails.

"Then why don't you try sleeping again" Foolish pleaded.

"I'm not tired," Dream responded, looking back at him.

"Bullshit, you look half dead'' Foolish joked.

"I always look half dead, you don't prove any point" Dream replied, refusing to let Foolish get off that easily.

"Alright I'll drop it then. Are you going for a placement on the PT highlights team again?" Foolish asked.

"Stupid question, I always go for it" Dream stated as if it was Newton's law.

"When do you have PE?" Foolish questioned, deciding he wasn't going to convince the boy to go to sleep anytime soon.

"Tomorrow, 5th period" Dream replied.

"That's good," Foolish responded, resting his head against the wall and closing his eyes.

"Are you?" Dream asked, grabbing another cookie.

"I mean I don't get a choice to apply, it's based on PE lessons, if I was offered a place though, I'd have to think about it" Foolish shrugged, "I most likely won't get one though".

"You never know," Dream shrugged, finishing his cookie.

"You never know, anything is possible in this world," Foolish replied.

The room was quiet for a bit, Dream just zoning out and Foolish in deep thought. Although the silence was broken.

"You want to ask me something?" Dream observed.

"How did- How did you know?" Foolish asked confused.

"I have to be able to pick up on others' behaviours to know when I'm in danger" Dream replied, cracking his knuckles.

"I just, I don't know how you do it. You went through so much trauma, yet you're still going as confident as ever... How?!" Foolish exasperated, "I have nightmares every night of what my biological pricks put me through, yet it was nowhere near what you went through".

Dream sat there for a bit to really take in Foolish's words.

"It helps when you don't remember 95% of your childhood... I also kept my will power throughout it all, I wouldn't give in to what they were attempting to force me to be" Dream replied not revealing too much.

"You don't ever get nightmares?" Foolish asked, almost asking for reassurance that he wasn't alone.

"I get them, a lot... more have occurred recently... but It's well... not real anymore" Dream replied, tripping over his explanation more without giving too much away. Dream looked awkward, he wasn't used to talking about himself in the way he was to people.

Foolish just looked at him in amazement, Dream was probably the most strong minded person you knew.

"I'm guessing your stubbornness came from them and what you had to fight against" Foolish asked.

"I don't want to get into it... especially not tonight" Dream responded shivering at how his behaviour mirrored his childhood.

Shlatt had walked into the kitchen yawning.

"I'm heading up, is anyone else going up?" Shlatt asked.

"I will, Dream and I had pretty much finished conversation" Foolish smiled looking at Dream.

Dream was enjoying this side of Foolish, where he would Finnish conversation whenever Dream didn't want to talk about anything else anymore.

"Dream?" Shlatt asked.

"Nahhh I'll stay downstairs for a little longer" Dream responded.

"Alright see you tomorrow" Shlatt answered heading up.

"Try to get some sort of sleep" Foolish added not far behind Shlatt.

All that was left was Dream who realised he hadn't taken his food out of the microwave. 

[814 Words Total]