✴️ CHAPTER 41 ✴️

Harsh reality 🖤💔

Stars in the sky, appearing with patience mark the time for the toddler's sleep. Jungkook takes her to bed, reads her a good bedtime story for her to have a peaceful sleep, and kisses her on the forehead as a goodnight. His baby is unaffected by all the turmoil going in their lives. Ambling through his way he reaches the bedroom where he spends the night. Opening the door very silently, in order not to wake up the other person if he is already asleep, he enters the bedroom tiptoed, breathes taken in, and released out with caution. Tae was always a light sleeper. A light sound, a mosquito buzzing nearby, a kid laughing at a distance, and his sleep cycle is broken. Thus, caution is necessary.

Tae: "You look like a thief entering a room to steal something." The melodious tone of the older announces the cognizance to Jungkook. Posture now relaxed, the guard let down he reaches the bed where the older is seen smiling at him, a book half-read in his hands, his glasses sitting perfectly on his high nose bridge.

Jk: "I didn't want to wake you up. It's late and you should be asleep."

Tae: "I can't sleep without you, Mama."

Jk: "Hey! Stop there!"

Tae: "How can I? You are acting like the strict mothers in the movies! You know that's the only impression I have of mothers right?"

Jk: "It doesn't matter! I'm not your Mama!"

Tae: "We'll see that. Now come." Tae smiles as he extends his arms to the younger. His invitation is accepted. The younger reaches him to get embraced in the older one's arms, melting in the warmth after a stressful day. His head settled in the crook of Tae's neck, taking in the intoxicating and calming smell of vanilla. His nose rubbed on the taller's scent gland.

Tae: "You have been working too much for the past months,"Tae states his worry to the younger, stroking his chestnut hair tenderly.

.
.

Lifting his head to face the older, changing their previous position, he sits up straight, cradling the submissive alpha's face in his large hands.

Jk: "Do you want me to be with you dear? I can take leave if you want." His eyes project concern, brows slightly furrowed, his thumb stroking the other's face softly.

Tae: "I want you to have some rest. Look at yourself properly. You are exhausted from all the hard work."

Jk: "No, I'm not. I am young and green. I don't get tired easily. Someone is having thoughts like my grandpa I see."

Tae: "Don't call me grandpa."

Jk: "When did I?" The two continue to bicker as time passes by. The night ages with grace, the two alphas find themselves laughing, smiling, and enjoying their time. Peaceful as it is, it seems too perfect. kook is afraid of the future. When cherishing the present he fears perishing in the future, he fears the life to erode, to disappear, he is afraid of losing peace and happiness.

How he wishes he could stop the time. All of them are happy, content with everything they have now. But, it is never possible, never likely to happen. Tae pulls the blanket up to his chest, his mind unexplainably at peace hearing the rhythmic breathes of the younger sleeping beside him, their bodies resting close, face to face, his waist encircled by the younger, subconsciously in his sleep. Exhausted after the whole day kook has fallen asleep before the older.

Staring at the handsome face of the younger, Tae traces signs of stress in him. Hollowed cheeks, dark under-eye bags, complexion, paler than usual. What is he so stressed about? His ruts? Why bring such a worrywart for unscheduled ruts?