𝕮⃟Hapter 43

𝕮⃟𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 43

𝗡𝗔𝗠𝗘:My Dragon
𝗔𝗨𝗧𝗛𝗢𝗥:我的龙 (Butterfly Mage)

° ° °

Nan HuaiLin stayed up all night, from the afternoon of the previous day until 10:00 a.m. the next day, reading through the script of My Father.

After reading it, his only thought was that the role was too challenging.

The protagonists of My Father were an adopted father and son, the father was Chen Bu, thirty-nine years old, and the adopted son was Chen Chi, twenty years old. The two lived in a small, dilapidated town on the border of Yunnan and Burma. The seemingly peaceful life was in fact turbulent, filled with murder, drugs, sex, and fraud. But these were the breeding ground for lust, Chen Bu and Chen Chi’s repressed and strong love of betrayal of virtue. But the main theme throughout was their fierce love, twisted and pure, in the midst of their hurt for each other.

Both roles were so complex that Nan HuaiLin was unsure of his acting skills for the first time in his life, especially when his co-star was Qi Gu.

Since he was a student at Beijing Film Academy, Qi Gu had always been Nan HuaiLin’s idol, his acting skills were at its peak, he could handle any role perfectly, and he had won more domestic and international film awards than he could count on two hands.

It was his honor to be able to act with such an excellent actor, but also a lot of pressure. This time, he had to give it his all, for himself and for Fei Cheng.

Putting down the script, Nan HuaiLin picked up his cell phone and called He DuanYang.

After two months of filming Swimming Beyond My Life, he and He DuanYang have become good friends and often meet to work out, eat and watch movies together.

“What’s up?” Nan HuaiLin asked.

“I’m at home.” He DuanYang said.

“You don’t have a role?” Nan HuaiLin asked again.

“No,” He DuanYang said, “I guess I have to be salty again for a while.”

“Then you can be my partner,” Nan HuaiLin said, “I’ve taken a film, the role is very difficult, I have to rehearse a few more times before shooting.”

“Sure,” He DuanYang was very happy, “Anyway, I’m just idling away.”

“Then tomorrow morning at nine o’clock,” Nan HuaiLin said, “I’ll see you in the company rehearsal room.”

“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

The next day, the two of them met in the rehearsal room on time.

Nan HuaiLin handed a copy of another script to He DuanYang, who looked down and was shocked, “Damn! Wu Xinghai? Is this really true?”

Nan HuaiLin had expected this reaction and said with a smile, “Really.”

He DuanYang grabbed his hand, “My Lord—”

“I won’t forget about you,” Nan HuaiLin interjected with a smile, “I know, don’t waste time, I’ll tell you the plot first, then we’ll start.”

From that day on, Nan HuaiLin and He DuanYang went to the rehearsal room every day to work on his scenes, refining bit by bit the psychology, expressions, actions and tone of their characters, and then writing down detailed annotations on the script.

About a week later, Nan HuaiLin was called to the office by Shan Mingen, saying that director Wu Xinghai had asked the two main actors to go to Lincang, Yunnan Province, half a month in advance to experience life.