[Chapter 33: A War Beneath The Cosmos, Pt. 22]

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
(3rd POV)

"Shouldn't you have matters to attend?" Caelus can't help but question as he was being followed by Natsuki beside him as they headed for his own assigned home that he'll be temporarily staying till the joint-operation ends which is predicted to last 2 weeks or a month if there was a delay or a major issue needed to tackle.

Caelus was at least glad that Natsuki is acting formally rather than the affectionate attitude she previous had shown shown they were having a private talk that no one had noticed nor will there be anyone anyone could given how tight security was within her home.

"Of course Caelus-san, I've already dealt with my work before you came, it would be unfortunate if hadn't... we wouldn't be able to spend together~." She whispered as Caelus sighed softly he already knows that she'll be with him for a while till someone call for Natsuki.

"Just... please don't stick to closely we're not young adults anymore, I would wish to avoid any negative rumor regarding about us." Caelus knows how the people around them can gossip and spread news like wildfire should see the two and misunderstood them, it might harm their reputations and nations relation.

"Aww~ Caelus-san being so shy? Where's the man I knew who would care what others think of him?" Natsuki teases as Caelus move an inch away from her as she is getting to close and people will notice there closeness... if he didn't step away so there are no misunderstanding.

Natsuki on the other hand pouted at the gesture though made sure to hide it, she noted how much Caelus had changed from the old carefree and open person she knew... now he was more reserved and strict to himself and he doesn't look so carefree which was upsetting to see.

"No fair, I want the old Caelus back, what did the Eagle Union taught him to become like this." Natsuki thought a little bit upset seeing Caelus being serious, strict, a bit cold and less expressive than he use to be when he was a young adult.

The old Caelus she knew would be very bold, carefree and a bit of a rascal at times... Natsuki wondered what caused him to change to what he is now... he is less open and reserve, not addressing her as the best friend he use to treat her but as a officer and princess of a nation.

Natsuki didn't like this, she understands his behavior given there position and that they were in a public place... but she had noticed how he still acted when they were in private... it made her unhappy a bit, not angry since that will be to childish to assume why he's acting so distant to her after years of not seeing each other she just feels a bit lost.

"Hmph! I'll get you to open again Caelus I am not about to lose you, not this time." He was one of the few people who treated her for who she is rather than of what she was, he didn't care of her status or relation, Natsuki felt like she is a simple maiden when he was around, given how others treated her despite of her status... as a princess of two nations.

Her mother being the favored daughter of the Chinese Emperor who still reigns as it's ruler today, her grandfather whom often spoil her when she visits... originally both nobles of Japan and China opposed the decision made by the crown prince in marrying her mother.

But knowing her father... he stubbornly married her mother while it sour ties to some nobles in Japan and China it did boost the two Empire's relationship from the marriage and her birth, at least she has some cousins who understands and sympathizes with her rather than looking down on her own dual ethnicity.

While the nobles don't show it, they still don't see her in a positive light though there numbers are small... mostly from the radicals of the army which her family and the moderate government of Japan along with the navy and other nobles allied or loyal to the royal family whom helped oppose the radical nobles.