Forty-Three

"Robi, have you seen your Mum?" I ask as my teen marches past, clutching her phone. "Robi?" I repeat, but she pays me no attention. Clearly, whatever is on her phone is more important.

I should be doing a soundcheck but Mitch called a halt to that, told me I should "go get my head out my arse!"

Ordinarily I'd have told him to "fuck off," and got back to work, but with a few shows under our belts, I'm confident we know what we're doing. Plus, everything worked well last night, so no reason night two in Birmingham shouldn't be a success.

"Dad!" I turn to see my son racing along the hallway behind me. "Dad! Where are you going? What happened to soundcheck?" He breathes deeply after sprinting to catch up with me.

"Finished. Now, do you want to help me find your mum?"

"What? How can it - you barely made it through the first verse of As It -"

"I know what I'm doing." I clip back at him and then immediately grab for his shoulder. A giant boulder sinks to my stomach. There's no need to be short with him. Even if he is being slightly melodramatic.

"No! You always say soundcheck is important! Check it once, twice, three times - then sh-poop is less likely to- "

"Mac, you need to relax," I chuckle. "Everything is going to be fine."

"Whatever." His shoulders slump as he turns away from me. "Go find Mum by yourself." He mumbles as he walks off back the way he came.

"What the heck was that all about?" I mutter to myself as I continue on my journey.

"He enjoys watching you soundcheck, you idiot!" My Mum's voice makes me startle. Where the fuck did she come from?

"Haven't you noticed he's there every day? Him and Jazzy." She sighs.

"Figured that was more to do with Jazzy, to be hon - ouch! What was that for?" I turn to glare at her for slapping my arm and find an equally annoyed stare on her face. "What?"

"Harry..." She draws out my name in that way that makes me feel six inches tall. "He's starting to get into music and as much as we try - he doesn't want to share that with me, or Jess yet - only you. When it comes to this - you're that boy's bloody hero. I'm sure for many other reasons too, but please, for the love of god, open your eyes, sweetheart."

I crush her in a hug. My warm cheek squishes up against hers before I rush in the direction Mac went, with the aim of promising to do a full and complete soundcheck tomorrow.

-----

"Mum!" Daniella's voice pulls my attention from my phone, as I hit the button to add the last of the eight rings that Mac had admired to my shopping basket. I wonder whether or not I should add one for myself but decide against it. This will be a sweet thing for Harry and the kids to share.

"How come you aren't in this colouring book about Dad?" She says as she sits her book on top of my phone and a little laugh escapes my mouth. Message received, sweetheart. I wrap my arm around her as she flicks through all the black and white pages, waiting for colour. Each one of them is of Harry in some of his various "work" looks.

"I think you'll need glitter for these ones," I smile, pointing to his looks from Edinburgh night two and Italy from Love On Tour 2023.

"The sparkly ones are my favourite," she grins.

"Mine too."

"So why aren't you in this book?" she huffs.

"Why would I be? I don't sing with your dad."