Thirty - Five

"Mum, can I talk to you?" Robin asks at the same time as my phone rings. It's Harry. He must be about to go to bed. But one look at my teen's tight frown and slumped eyebrows let me know that whatever she wants to talk about is important to her.

"You can. Just give me a minute to get your Dad to call back later, okay?" I let out a sigh of relief when she nods and I walk into the kitchen to answer his video call.

"Hey baby," he yawns once the FaceTime connection stabilises and his naked torso comes into view. Christ almighty! Why do our children have such awful timing?

"Hi H! Listen, I can't talk now, can I call you back later?"

"Sure. Everything okay?" His sleepy demeanour switches to concern, like somebody has flicked a light switch. I swallow a moan as he sits up and the sheets pool around his hips, forcing my thighs to clench together as I lean against the kitchen worktop.

"Just Mum stuff."

"Anything I can help with?" His long fingers comb through his hair and I wish they were mine instead. A shudder flows through my body as I recall how soft his curls felt against my skin when he kissed me goodbye.

"Robin asked to talk to me -"

"Is she okay? Should I call her?" His eyes shoot open in concern and my heart races at how much he cares for our children. Not everyone is so lucky, especially when it comes to daughters and their Dad's. I remember feeling so bad watching how uncomfortable Daniella's friends Dad looked watching their end of year show at dance class. It was obvious he'd been dragged there against his will. Harry on the other hand could be heard above everyone else, cheering just as loudly as he would for Mac during a basketball game.

"She seems okay, but I haven't spoken to her yet -"

"Is she nervous about her interview with Teen Vogue?"

"H! Sweetie, I won't know until I speak to her," I giggle to try to ease his concern. "I know it's hard for you being so far away but we're all okay, you don't have to worry so much, yeah?"

"Yeah," he says as he lets out a massive sigh. "I know, baby - just miss you guys and I feel like I'm out of the loop. Wish it was Saturday already."

My hands clutch the phone to my chest and I wish with my entire being that he was here so I could hug him and tell him everything will be all right.

"Jessi? Are you still there?" My shirt muffles my husband's voice as the speakers press against my body.

"I'm here. Just cuddling you." I smile as I move the phone so I can see his pretty face.

"Love you," he whispers. His words erase any silliness I feel at hugging the device.

"Love you too. So much."

"Call me later, please?" His lips press to the camera in a kiss.

"If it's late, I'll call first thing in the morning," I nod. I press a kiss to the tips of my fingers and then press them to the screen.

"No, later. I'll be awake. Promise me you'll call later!"

"Okay. I promise, H." As we say our goodbyes I make a note to call Mitch, Tommy and Anne tomorrow. It sounds like my husband is not coping well at all.

"Mum?" Robin's soft voice questions as I make my way out of the kitchen. I try to push my concern about Harry to the back of mind and focus my attention on my oldest daughter.

"I'm all yours," I smile and link my arm through hers. "What do you want to talk about?" I lead her over to the sofa, it's the comfiest spot but not the most private. Hopefully, the rest of the kids can keep themselves entertained for a bit.