Thirteen

"Dad!" My daughter yells as she comes rushing into the room. "Are you ready? Look at Dolly!"

"Indoor voice, please?" I smile as she thrusts her doll into my hand. "Wow! He looks pretty!" I grin, he looks like he's just got back from a very interesting night out. White shirt, black waistcoat and bow tie on the top half and his bottom half is covered by nothing but a bright pink tutu. And I mean nothing, apparently underwear isn't necessary.

"Fancy!" She corrects me with a pout.

"He doesn't look as fancy as you though. I'm gonna have the most beautiful date for sure." My hand reaches for hers and I grin as she chuckles when I twirl her around. 

"Do you like my bow?" Her other hand pats the oversized, pink, sparkly bow attached to her white shirt.

"Love it. I once wore a big bow like that."

"Really? Can I see a picture?" She asks as she stares up at me, her hand tugging on my white shirt. 

"Sure. Gimme a minute." I pull my work phone from my pocket and pull up my first Met Gala pictures. "There y'go." I turn the screen to face her and she clamps her hands over her mouth to stifle her little giggle. 

"You look silly!" She giggles some more and I can't help but feel mildly offended, I mean this coming from the girl who's dressed Dolly in a tux and tutu combo! "Did Mum wear a bow too? Were you s'posed to be clowns?" 

"Oh no. Your Mum looked amazing. Hold on." I grin as I switch to a photo of us on the carpet. 

"Oooh!" She coos as her finger pokes the screen. "Mum is a pretty flower. And she has blonde hair! Like Madi and Mac!" Her voice is building to yelling levels again. 

"Yeah. She had blonde hair for a bit." 

"You look pretty too, Dad. I like that top better." She says tapping her finger on the phone. If I was honest I liked the lace blouse better too. So did Jess, and she really loved that dress. Along with her wedding dress it was one of the few items of clothing she kept in storage with my stage outfits.

"Thanks Dani. You ready to go?" I ask and grab my jacket from the bed.

"YES! I'M SO EXCITED!" She bounces on the tips of her toes and her hands are shaking Dolly like a maraca. I'm a little worried his head will suddenly fly off. 

"Okay, calm down!" I chuckle as I slide on my jacket. "Give me your hand." Her small hand squishes around three of my fingers and I can't help but notice how big and quiet the apartment seems without the rest of our family. I wonder what they are doing without us. 

-----

"Dad! Come on!" Dani pouts as I tuck my wallet back in my pocket after paying for the program. She's practically swinging from my arm with excitement to get inside.

"Alright! Do you need to pee before we head in?" I ask. I'm trying to leave it as late as possible so we don't draw any necessary attention. This is my daughter's time, I'd rather not share too much of it with anyone else. 

"No. Please Dad? Can we go inside?" She whines and it's at times like these where I'm reminded she's only eight years old. Of all our kids Dani has always seemed in the most hurry to grow up. She stopped calling us Mummy and Daddy long before she started pre-school. She swaggered into her Kindergarten class with not a care in the world, barely a backward glance at me or Jess as we fought back tears. "Dad!" She tugs on my arm hard and I let out a chuckle. 

"Okay then, let's go?" I grin as she grips my hand tight, Dolly held securely in her other hand. Her feet seem to bounce off the floor as we make our way inside the theatre. I'd booked out the little row of three on the left-hand side of the mezzanine section so getting to our seats was easy. I figured she'd be able to see everything from here with nobody obscuring her view and again I hope we won't draw much attention. I'm immediately grateful for the railing as she almost launches herself over it in her enthusiasm to take in everything.