Ten

"Hi Harry!" Jessi's receptionist smiles at me as I step out of the lift. "She's almost finished. Do you want to wait in her office?" 

"Hi Dustin, that'd be good thanks." I grin and walk the familiar route to my wife's office, it's much more impressive than my office at the studio and much neater. Her chair is tucked tidily under her desk, which is clear of all clutter except for a few photographs of us and the kids. I sit the bunch of peonies I'm carrying down on a clear space and turn to look out the floor to ceiling windows. I chuckle quietly as I remember fucking her up against these windows, not long after she'd moved into this office building. She had looked so pretty pressed up against the glass and my fingertips press against the cool surface as I stare down at the view below. 

"Hey handsome!" Her quiet voice startles me as I hear her heels click on the tiled floor. "What are the flowers for?" I smile as her hands snake around my middle, her lips softly kissing between my shoulder blades. "Hmm... you smell good." 

"Do I need a reason to bring my wife flowers?" I ask as I twist my body so I'm facing her, my arms automatically finding their home around her body. 

"S'pose not. They're beautiful." She seems to mould herself to me and I want to forget all about the Doctors appointment and just stay here, like this. It feels like ages since I've had her all to myself. 

"Jess?" Sara's voice and the knock at the door make me groan internally. 

"Yeah?" Jess replies, slowly turning her head away from where it rests against my chest. 

"Oh, sorry, guys. I didn't realise you were already here, Harry." She pauses just inside the doorway. 

"It's fine, Sara. Everything okay?" 

"Yeah. Actually, I have some really good news. A publishing company called me and they want you to write a book?" She grins and my wife's body tenses. 

"I don't write and I have no interest in sharing intimate details of my life with the world." She sighs as her body turns towards Sara and my hands move to her hips.

"It's not that kind of book, it's a photography book. I think you should hear them out?" 

"You really think they're genuine?" 

"Yes. And why shouldn't they be? I'm stunned something like this hasn't cropped up before. You're a big fucking deal, Jessi!" I smile as I squeeze her hips. And I agree with my wife's manager one hundred percent. Jess is a big fucking deal!

"Yeah, okay. I'm not giving you another raise." She chuckles as Sara smiles in victory and heads back out the door after saying goodbye. "Come on, we should get going!"

"You don't really think they're only interested in you for a story, do you?" I ask as she links her fingers with mine. 

"I don't know what they want, H. But I don't think it helps to pretend like it isn't a possibility, it's not like it hasn't happened before." She says and leans her head on my bicep as we walk together. 

"Okay, that's fair enough but even if they are arseholes, just looking for gossip that doesn't mean your work isn't worth showcasing. I mean, maybe you should consider doing this book anyway, on your own terms? I'm sure Sara and Jeffrey could put you in touch with the right people." 

"Mmm... perhaps." She whispers as we continue along the hallway. "Thank you." The fingers of her left hand curl around my bicep as she hugs herself to my arm. 

"For what?" 

"For always being my fan." I can hear the smile in her voice and I place a kiss to the top of her head.